Author Topic: 11/32 heads on 5/16 shafts?  (Read 1663 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
11/32 heads on 5/16 shafts?
« on: July 31, 2021, 12:11:11 pm »
Hi, all.  I decided to try some of Mike's hickory shafting from Pine Hollow.  They only had my desired spine in 5/16, so I got some.  But all my heads are 11/32, and I don't really want to buy all new ones.  I know from past experience that this can work ok, but it makes for arrows that are really hard to pull out of a target.  Anybody have any remedies for that?  Otherwise it's probably back to sitka spruce.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
Re: 11/32 heads on 5/16 shafts?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 12:24:00 pm »
The shafts are a lot more expensive than the heads, I would buy new heads.  at most places standard field tips run no more than $12 doz, I've seen them as low as 30 cents apiece from some places.  If I put extra large heads on narrow shafts I think they would stay inside a bag target when the shaft came out.  I have a fair number of 70 grain 5/16 heads, PM me if you want to deal.  .06 rifle shells sorta fit too if you saw off the taper.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2021, 01:43:30 pm »
Ask on our Trading Post to see if someone had field points and broadheads(if you need them) for your 5/16" arrows. Might as well ask for nocks too unless you plan to make self nocks.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 01:31:54 am »
Thomas,
I will check my plunder tomorrow and see what I have.  There is some strange stuff in there!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2021, 09:36:02 pm »
Thanks, guys.  I appreciate the offer, Jerry, but don't worry about it.  All my tools are geared to 11/32 too, so I think I'll just use up some spruce shafts I have for this year's hunting arrows, and try hickory if I ever get a bow that likes heavier arrows.  All my bows seem to appreciate really light spined arrows, probably because I shoot off the hand so there's a lot more paradox.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour