Author Topic: warbow backings?  (Read 9832 times)

Offline david w.

warbow backings?
« on: May 10, 2008, 08:00:27 pm »
what are the backing that people use for backing warbows?  if i make one i would like to make an acurate reproduction
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: warbow backings?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 11:51:07 pm »
Traditionally none
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline david w.

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 11:53:38 pm »
o that might be hard for me to pull off i have osage boards. i know they used yew but osage is what i have now and i cant complain with that ;D
the boards are very straight grained the straightest i have ever seen on anything. i might be able to leave it unbacked
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 01:07:01 am by david w. »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 12:58:46 am »
David, Use rawhide.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline david w.

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 01:08:51 am »
ok if i make on i will use that. i have enough osage for 7-10 bows and i will last me a long time and i want to try new things

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 08:47:06 am »
If you are using Osage then it wouldn't be an accurate reproduction, I don't think Osage grew overseas at the time.  That being the case why don't you just use a hard backing.  If you use Hickory you can round the back and make it look like a sapwood back
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline david w.

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 01:34:08 pm »
i would need yew but i dont have that much money to drop so osage is the next best thing ;D

ok i was thinking hickory i just wasnt sure

Offline markinengland

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 01:34:08 pm »
Osage with a hickory backing looks quite "authentic" and works. I have seen some nice hickory backed osage heavy warbows. I am not sure that rawhide would be strong enough on a warbow. If the wood was good enough to work with just rawhide, in my opinion it would probably be good enough to work unbacked. I have never seen a rawhide backed warbow here. Use good hickory. Most big backed bows that blow seem to go because of failings in the hickory rather than the belly wood.
Bamboo certainly works very well, but does not look quite so traditional. My feeling is that the bowyers of old would have used bamboo if they had it.
Towards the end of the age of the english warbow age, some bows were being made of Pernambua, a South American hardwood. Also at this time some warbows were apparently backed though I m not sure what they were backed with. I suspect that it was the tropical hardwood bows that were backed but no backed bows have been found.
Matk in England

Offline david w.

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 01:35:13 pm »
thanks Mark that was very helpful

Offline alanesq

• my webpage
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 04:21:36 pm »

What draw weight are you looking for ?

I have made a 120lb at 32" bow from cheap kiln dried ash without any backing so I would imagine you wont have any problem getting this out of your wood ?

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 05:52:14 pm »
Osage with a hickory backing looks quite "authentic" and works. I have seen some nice hickory backed osage heavy warbows. I am not sure that rawhide would be strong enough on a warbow. If the wood was good enough to work with just rawhide, in my opinion it would probably be good enough to work unbacked. I have never seen a rawhide backed warbow here. Use good hickory. Most big backed bows that blow seem to go because of failings in the hickory rather than the belly wood.
Bamboo certainly works very well, but does not look quite so traditional. My feeling is that the bowyers of old would have used bamboo if they had it.
Towards the end of the age of the english warbow age, some bows were being made of Pernambua, a South American hardwood. Also at this time some warbows were apparently backed though I m not sure what they were backed with. I suspect that it was the tropical hardwood bows that were backed but no backed bows have been found.
Matk in England

Mark's right about Tudor references to backed bows, ash/yew, but I'm not sure they were necessarily warbows.  Ascham was a gentleman and wrote about brasil bows (sic) etc,  but for the gentry.  If it was wet they did not have to shoot.  This is not a luxury a warbow can afford.
Jeremy

radius

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 12:54:58 pm »
david, i like your attitude, in wanting to experiment.  and i agree with marc:  usehickory overtop, should work just fine.  I've noticed that on bows up to 60# at least, the grain on the hickory can be damn wild and still be perfect for use...in fact the only time i've had the hickory fail on me was an edge-ringed piece with perfect parallels from tip to tip.  Will you be using a thick piece of osage, or laminations?  If you use laminations, you can pretiller it somewhat by gluing it up in a jig. 

And someone mentioned bamboo.  I say give'r.  My bamboo backed bows are mega strong, and if they are a bit touchy to tiller under the nodes, they are worth it.  One bow is only 1 inch wide and still draws 70#, at 62" length.  An english warbow, say, 72 or 78 inches long, backed with bamboo, should safely draw over a hundred pounds no problem.

Rod

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 07:20:57 am »
i would need yew but i dont have that much money to drop so osage is the next best thing ;D

ok i was thinking hickory i just wasnt sure

ERC is probably the "next best thing" if you want to use a native wood that looks and handles like yew.
If you can find a good piece that's long enough.
Rod.

Offline david w.

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 08:55:39 pm »

What draw weight are you looking for ?

I have made a 120lb at 32" bow from cheap kiln dried ash without any backing so I would imagine you wont have any problem getting this out of your wood ?

60#

Offline david w.

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 08:56:25 pm »
thanks for all that other help