Author Topic: Advantages and disadvantages of a 20" draw  (Read 4733 times)

Offline StickMark

Re: Advantages and disadvantages of a 20" draw
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2021, 10:35:09 pm »
my love affair with 20" -22" draw length weapon systems ended when the big buck stopped at 25 or so yards, which was too far; I could have grabbed the doe with my bare hands, lol. I bring up the doe to state the fact that in areas with more deer and legal does, a shorter range weapon might make more sense.

Brad states the good and bad and ugly.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2021, 08:20:24 am »
That's a good point - also if we were hunting for survival in a pre-game law era.  Of course, longer bows shoot great at short range, but they also require a bit more motion to draw.

Offline StickMark

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2021, 10:42:05 pm »
In states with multiple kills allowed, bucks and does, a tight blind with a shorter draw might be the proverbial ticket.

I have a knack for bringing the wrong bow to the fight, so I am settling on more length, 55 and up. I still can not see 69-70" working from a kneeling stance.

As an detour, I made a little 50 incher, 18" or so draw, 55#. Ok, so what...
I practiced holding arrows in the bow hand and shooting close, 10 yard close, like southwest Indians might do attacking a muzzle loading bunch of fellows, rapid reloading. That type of weapon had merit.

bownarra

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2021, 04:26:40 am »
Also a huge factor is that before all the white folks turned up with guns, deer etc would have been a whole load easier to get close to. Your short bow ain't so lacking when its no problem to get within 10 yards.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2021, 02:14:04 pm »
I still can not see 69-70" working from a kneeling stance.

You might want to give it a try, if you haven't.  I used to shoot my 72" ELB from a kneeling position all the time, no problem.

Also a huge factor is that before all the white folks turned up with guns, deer etc would have been a whole load easier to get close to. Your short bow ain't so lacking when its no problem to get within 10 yards.

That is a very good point.  I doubt the critters were nearly as jumpy when there were a lot fewer people and there weren't guns going off all over.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour