Author Topic: Birch bark distillates?  (Read 2167 times)

Offline paulc

Birch bark distillates?
« on: July 22, 2021, 06:52:48 pm »
I distilled some birch bark a while back, when I pulled back the fire and got my  catch can out from under the can the bark was in I had 1/2 a soup can of what I took to be oil...I let is sit and a bunch of thick gooyie "tar" was on bottom of can. I poured off the "oil" and cooked the thick stuff until I had birch pitch for hafting. I opened my birch oil cup today I swear its not oil but dark, smoky, stinky water....or at least the consistency of water. Doesn't leave my finger slick when I stick it in container. Would oil be a by product of distilling? And would it an almost water like consistency?

Thanks for the help. Paul

Online GlisGlis

Re: Birch bark distillates?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 05:25:13 am »
I cant help with your questions but In the documentary "Happy people- a year in the Taiga" they used the oil (likely your stinky water) on dogs and humans as mosquitoes repellents

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 10:05:22 am »
What's it taste like? -C-
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline paulc

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2021, 10:40:38 am »
Ha, I debated tasting it but am guessing there is a pretty descent chance it is loaded with stuff a human ought not to injest.....P

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2021, 09:58:00 am »
I got a Christmas present that was full of native foods from Canada, Saskatoon berry jam, dried wild mushrooms, wild rice, various things pickled and birch bark syrup.

I made blueberry pancakes today and decided to try the syrup. I gave it a taste before I put it on my pancake, it tasted like sweetened turpentine. It went quickly into the trash as I reached for plain old artificial maple syrup from Walmart.

Offline Fox

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2021, 11:57:05 pm »
the few times I've made it its came out just as you said... I dunno id thats how its supossed to be or not, but thats how mine is ???
Why must we make simple things so complicated?