Author Topic: Of wind shakes and heart aches  (Read 1510 times)

Offline sleek

Of wind shakes and heart aches
« on: August 30, 2021, 07:03:43 pm »
I bought 3 staves from a very well known and reputable guy. Got what appear to be a perfect stave in every way  Despite a bum elbow  I managed to get a good ring chased only to find a windshake. I peeled it up with my knife and it ran about 7 inches long with discolored wood underneath.

I'm familiar with wind shakes, but they are rare. How often have you guys found skakes in only one ring. Seems unlikely statistically speaking, that the one ring I want is the one with them in it. Even if the next ring down doesn't have them, maybe there are more hidden under the next one. I dont have the energy to make a bow, have it break and start over. My energy levels are way to low for that lately.  So, I'm yalls experience, have yall had multi ring shakes ot are they typically single ring events?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Morgan

Re: Of wind shakes and heart aches
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021, 08:35:55 pm »
Sleek, my experience with shake comes from sawing lumber, so it may not be completely revealing. I have seen trees with one ring in a 30” dia tree separated, and also trees with a separation every 1/2”  throughout the tree, this amounts to a pile of long toothpicks when quarter sawing said log.  I’ve also sawn trees that had separations on one side of the log and not the other. The reason I say the lumber use may not tell the whole story is that on logs that didn’t have visible shake in the whole log, I cannot say that it wouldn’t come apart when it starts getting bent. Not really something that you are concerned with sawing trim or panel lumber

Offline Hamish

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 10:51:11 pm »
What is your definition of a shake? Are you referring to a ring delamination, in the early wood, or something that crosses multiple rings?

Offline Morgan

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2021, 11:04:55 pm »
Only people I ever heard refer to it before seeing it pop up on this site was loggers and sawyers. It’s referred to as wind shake here and is a delam between rings.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 04:29:49 pm »
I have had them on a few staves. Only a few. All were limited to one ring. Having said that, one particular stave had multiple shakes in different areas, but each one affected only one ring. Osage btw.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Piddler

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2021, 06:48:02 pm »
On this subject would timber that has been bulldozed down experience the shakes as well. They are dozing a place around here and there is some hickory in there. Was thinking about getting a couple pieces if it isn't visibly damaged on the exterior.
Piddler
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2021, 07:59:25 pm »
Well, I understand it is caused by an anaerobic bacteria. The cells fill with water, and the bacteria sets in. So it could happen with wood on the ground I believe. The one I mentioned above had been cut and lying on the ground for 9 years and it had wind shakes.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2021, 08:43:04 pm »
Sleek get thin gorilla glue fill it and clamp it. Then finish the bow had a few of those from same place before. They work out fine. Just make sure it’s not thru the growth ring on the back. Then come kick my ass with it. Pics !! Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2021, 09:44:54 am »
What I call wind shakes don't just inhabit one ring, they start at core and radiate out like spokes on a wheel. Few go all the way to the back but most travel out at least half way through a stave.

Like this;

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2021, 05:52:23 pm »
So, I cant say the best way to fix it, only that I what I did worked.  I took my pocket knife and cleaned out the loose material inside.  Then I filled it with CA glue.  I let it soak in and refilled it 3 times, until it would hold no more.  No clamps, just the glue.  Then I just finished it up.  I made this one in 2014 or there about.  It is my wifes bow and it has had a bunch of arrows thru it over the years and never a problem.  Gorilla glue and clamps, as Arvin mentioned certainly might work, but this did as well.

Offline sleek

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2021, 08:18:29 am »
Good news! Got lucky and the bow made it :) It's checked all to hell, but it's stayed in one piece. I'm off to the salt flats with it now. I'll post pics of it when I'm back.

Turned out a decent little bow too.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2021, 09:55:29 am »
I had one osage that was checked badly. I removed what checks  could. I looked to remove those that were running of the edge. I superglued and clamped the others.

The bow is a good one. I shot it for a few years and it still works.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2021, 10:10:39 am »
Good to hear, Sleek. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline gifford

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2021, 05:25:42 pm »
Good Luck in Salt Lake. Say Hi to Badger if you see him.