Author Topic: B-50 vs. fast flight discussion  (Read 921 times)

Offline CarmeloLabadie

B-50 vs. fast flight discussion
« on: November 13, 2021, 12:28:47 pm »
I was just sitting here thinking "is fast flight (and other high tech) string material really worth the possible bow damage they may cause".
I know and understand we shouldn't be shooting fast flight on our older bows, it will destroy them, so that is not what I am wondering about.

Here is what I am wondering about, I have also heard of people having modern bow limbs come appart when shooting. I don't think there is really any way to determine or prove if the string material caused it or something else did. But, I have to assume the shock placed on limbs by these new "no stretch" material is not good for limbs and "may" cause "some" of the failures. If this is the case, is the increase in speed really worth it.
I not even sure how much that increase is, I have heard 5-10 fps, and assume that is correct, but I haven't measured one of my bows.
If this is a thread worthy of discussion, I would like to know what others think

Offline PatM

Re: B-50 vs. fast flight discussion
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2021, 12:47:14 pm »
FF materials are safe for selfbows.  That's all that really matters on here.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2021, 12:53:59 pm »
FF materials are safe for selfbows.  That's all that really matters on here.
+1.
I've use FF materials on heavy draw weight bows and flight bows both with very light arrows arrows, and had no damage.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2021, 12:54:37 pm »
I've only used B-50 or B-55 on my bows so I can't make a comparison but I have heard that ff type strings are more detrimental to older glass bows than to selfbows. I do own a couple of selfbows with ff type strings and they don't have tip overlays and I haven't noticed any damage to them because of the string.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2021, 02:58:38 pm »
Just make your loops normal thickness, but use 8-10 strands FF in the body.  I have gone as low as 6 strand for bows in the #30 range.  FF is unbelievably lighter, thinner, and less stretchy than B50.

Offline bassman211

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2021, 03:01:09 pm »
I use 8 strands of D 97 low stretch string on many of my self bows with no padded loops. Has never hurt my wood bows, but I do make thicker tips than normal. It will add performance to the bow, and cut down on vibration.