Author Topic: Life on the Farm  (Read 120593 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Life on the Farm
« Reply #135 on: April 17, 2022, 06:22:15 pm »
Very cool BJ, always like CCR. not to cold here now but man it has been wet, hard to do anything. ???
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline chamookman

« Reply #136 on: April 18, 2022, 03:22:05 am »
Thanks for posting BJ. I've been to that Theater many Years ago. Spent alot of time Fishing out of Harbour Beech, chasing Salmon and Perch during the Hay Days. My Favorite place to Fish in the State. Great Campground just North of Town too. Might be up that way in a couple of weeks, to Troll for Steelhead South of Town, where the Creek comes into the Lake by the Cemetary. Thanks for jogging My Memory Banks  (lol) ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #137 on: April 18, 2022, 09:23:56 am »
Thanks Pappy. Might be showing my age a little but I do like a lot of music from the 60,s thru the late 70’s. Just really a period that produced a lot of music.

They probably still are but I guess I’m a little out of the loop anymore.

Was really fun and I wasn’t the only one with a touch of gray. Was more people there than my class reunion. Hope it works out for them.

Bob I know exactly where you are talking about. I’m not sure if the old Dickinson’s marina is still open. I haven’t been there in ages. The power plant is closed and they tore it down.

North park is the campgrounds on north edge of town. All the ash trees died but it’s still a popular campgrounds. My son works at Wagners Park. It’s a county park about 6 miles south of town right on the lakeshore. I prefer it over north park for camping. Pretty decent park.

The creek by cemetery is Rock Fall. Fishing off it has been a popular spot for ages. Also smelt and suckers up it creek.

I’m going to pm you my number. If you’re up this way give me a shout. Or anytime you want to chat text me.

We were going to start planting today, but it’s supposed to snow 3 to 5” this afternoon.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #138 on: April 18, 2022, 12:05:04 pm »
Wasn’t really quite dry enough to plant and snow predicted for this afternoon.

Decided to get a few fields soil samples instead. This is rye cover crop seeded after early dig Sugarbeets last September. The wildlife really like this.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #139 on: April 19, 2022, 08:20:01 am »
Looking out my window in afternoon
Bjrogg

Offline Buckskinner

« Reply #140 on: April 19, 2022, 10:22:47 am »
We had that yesterday morning, including the deer.  Very cool spring this year and next week is more of the same although we are supposed to hit 74 on Saturday for a taste of warmth and then back to upper 40's.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #141 on: April 20, 2022, 04:39:53 pm »
Well our snow is almost all gone again.

Got the lawn roller out. Today. Grass is going to need mowing pretty soon. Got mower all in tip top shape. Hopefully it doesn’t make any trouble.

With the snow day I probably should have got more jobs done but I needed a little therapy.

I did some more tillering on the bow I started working on last spring. Arvin sent me this really nice stave.

I have her to 50 & 26” right now on the tree.

Shoots really nice.

Bjrogg

Offline chamookman

« Reply #142 on: April 21, 2022, 03:21:49 am »
Nice - the Tiller looks Spot on ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Buckskinner

« Reply #143 on: April 21, 2022, 08:15:02 am »
That'll hunt!

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #144 on: April 21, 2022, 03:15:00 pm »
Nice looking bow!

My girls are going crazy ordering garden seeds.  Looks like "we" are going to have to build a couple more garden beds this spring.   ;D
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Parnell

« Reply #145 on: April 22, 2022, 01:09:10 pm »
Nice looking bend and curves on that bow.  So the rye cover crop, is that intended to just hold soil during the early spring until you plant? 
1’—>1’

Offline Buckskinner

« Reply #146 on: April 22, 2022, 01:26:13 pm »
Green manure.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #147 on: April 23, 2022, 08:34:33 am »
Thank You Bob and Buckskinner. It is from a very nice stave I almost ruined trying to get two bows out of. This is actually from the belly split. I ruined the top which should have been a even better bow. This stave has thick late wood rings and very thin early wood. It didn’t split anything like I was use to . I’m sure glad I didn’t ruin both. Learned something there.

It’s been a week I did a lot of running around and sitting in hospital. My wife wasn’t herself. Wednesday she was very dizzy and complaining that her whole right side was tingly.

I took her to hospital and they did several test. Her results were good but she showed no improvements. They transferred her to a larger hospital to get a MRI. It took two days to get the MRI.

The first day she still showed no improvements and the tests they did run showed good results. I stayed till visiting hours were over then drove home.

The second day she seemed a lot better but still a little dizzy. She was able to go to bathroom without me helping her though and was more her cheerful self. At 3:00 they took her for her MRI. I never saw a doctor the whole time I was there but the RN said her MRI results were good and she was released. We drove back home . She is still a little dizzy. Never really got a answer so not sure were done yet.

Also my daughters little dog Zoey is really sick. We are going to have to get her to a vet somewhere today. We are very  worried about her.

It’s been raining a little every day so we still didn’t get in the fields. It’s not early anymore. Really hoping things start going a little smoother and just get back to the normal hectic pace.

Steve the rye cover has several advantages it provides. Like you stated. It helps hold the soil in place and prevent wind and water erosion.

It also scavenges nutrients and holds them till it is terminated and decomposes. This works really well with spreading Biosolids.

Like Buckskinner said it’s what we call “green manure” and the real crop we grow well really like it.

It also really helps with the microbiology of the soil.

It also helps with the tilth of the soil. Allowing water to flow though the soil and helps prevent “ponding” and water laying on top of the soil.

It also has its challenges. It’s like having another crop to manage.

It can use to much moisture on a dry year and not have enough left to plant your real crop.

It is great for environment and that includes a lot of grubs and insects that are not Beneficial.

It also can get to big and it’s residue can keep the ground from drying enough to get your real crop planted

Gotta go lots of people asking how my wife is doing.

Get back when I can

Bjrogg

Offline Buckskinner

« Reply #148 on: April 23, 2022, 11:17:24 am »
Prayers for your wife, hope everything works out.  The hospitals around here are the same way since they fired all the employees who didn't want the shot.

Last month my brother had to put his last blue tick down because of blastomycosis.  Started in the eye as was misdiagnosed then went to the lungs and it was too far along to have much of a chance of recovery.  Hopefully that is not the case for your daughter's dog!  My lab had an eye issue about 2 weeks ago so got a bit worried, they have him on antibiotics and medicated eye drops and are not sure what it is his lungs are fine, but the eye thing is lingering.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #149 on: April 23, 2022, 12:19:07 pm »
Thanks Buckskinner.

Yes that’s the way they are here to. My son in law worked in medical position all through the Covid stuff. Then he was forced to get the shot. He had his concerns about it. He didn’t want to take it but they would have had to let him go if he didn’t. He took it.

My wife and I took two shoots and we both got the virus twice after. One of my brothers didn’t get shot. We all got the virus and fortunately none of us had serious problems. Really my brother and I had very mild symptoms.

I’m not against the vaccine and I don’t want to turn this into a political issue. I really don’t like that first responders who worked through the whole thing got fired because they didn’t want the shot.

WB I really hope to see pictures of those seeds being planted and watching them grow.
So glad your family is excited about the coming growing season. It’s the same excitement that keeps me doing this every year. Hope you have a bountiful harvest.

Bjrogg

PS We got a Emergency appointment for Zoey at 3:00 this afternoon. I sure hope she gets better. My daughter can’t have children and Zoey is really special to our whole family. I never dreamed about spending so much money on a dog when we were growing up, but we are going to now. I don’t know where it’s going to come from, but we really need her to get better