Author Topic: Life on the Farm  (Read 126659 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Life on the Farm
« Reply #975 on: November 05, 2023, 07:06:25 am »
And here’s what it looked like in the daylight.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #976 on: November 05, 2023, 07:07:46 am »
We did finish up sugar beet harvest yesterday.

We also finished up soybean harvest too.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #977 on: November 05, 2023, 11:42:59 am »
Even had a hour to sit in my tree

Bjrogg

Offline chamookman

« Reply #978 on: November 06, 2023, 04:43:14 am »
Nice !  (=) Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #979 on: November 21, 2023, 12:58:04 pm »
We finished our harvest a few weeks ago, but I have been busy helping my son and some neighbors with their’s.

We finished my son’s bunker and got it covered. Yesterday we finished the rest of his corn and took it to the elevator. Its yield was good, but it still was pretty wet to harvest for dry corn. Also had so vomitoxicin. If the levels get too high the corn is unsaleable. His levels weren’t that high but they did take some pretty big deductions.

We also spread rye for cover crops and did his tillage. It’s really nasty out there now. Windy, rainy and about 36 degrees. Just about as nasty as it gets. Makes my old joints hurt. Feels good to be in the shop today.

Working on beet digger. The grab rolls took a lot of wear. They had a lot of tons of beets and mud run over them. We took every roll out and are rebuilding the spiral wrap and ramps on them. a lot of work but we are making good progress.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #980 on: November 21, 2023, 12:59:11 pm »
Covering the bunker

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #981 on: November 21, 2023, 01:01:47 pm »
The last combine bin of my son’s corn going on the truck.
The standing corn in background is neighbors.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #982 on: November 21, 2023, 01:05:57 pm »
Sunday I watched the Lions. What a roller coaster ride that was. They came back to win it. Then I went back to my gun blind for a while. Saw the little spike I passed on during bow season. He got a pass again.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #983 on: November 25, 2023, 06:15:04 pm »
Some of you might remember this time last year my grandkids school football team went to state finals at Ford field.

They repeated again this year and they played the same school that they lost to last year. My grandson was water boy again and got to go on the field. It was pretty exciting for him. He’s learning a lot about the game and this is the second time he’s been able to go to state finals with the team.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #984 on: November 25, 2023, 06:16:49 pm »
My favorite granddaughter also got to take the field again with the marching band.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #985 on: November 25, 2023, 06:25:07 pm »
We won the coin toss and received the ball to start the game. We marched down the field and ended up with a 4th and goal at the five yard line. We went for it and got a touchdown. The play was challenged though and after further review the call on the field was overturned. The players knee was down with the ball inches from the goal line.

We gave the ball up at the half yard line.

It was a long grind with a lot of fourth downs but the opposing team did score a touchdown and missed the extra point.

Then we marched the ball back down the field and scored a touchdown and extra point to take the lead 7-6

Bjrogg
« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 08:47:42 am by bjrogg »

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #986 on: November 25, 2023, 06:31:05 pm »
Last year we couldn’t stop the passing game but this time around we did. We stopped them again and got the ball at our 45. Then we marched it downfield and scored another touchdown and extra point. Most of the high school teams in our division don’t have a kicking game. We actually have a very good kicker. He kicked a 54 yard field goal in the semi finals. Extra points are pretty routine for him.

We took the lead 14-6

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #987 on: November 25, 2023, 06:45:00 pm »
We stopped them again and got the ball at our 45 yard line again. Their defense was really getting tired and we marched down the field again. Scored another touchdown and extra point.

We took a lot of time off the clock and the opposing team was going to the passing game. We we shut them down and took over the ball on downs with very good field position. We got a first down. I was almost hoping they would force us to try a field goal just for our kicker, but the first down let us run the clock down. Last year was a good but sad ride home. My grandson was pretty blue. This year was certainly a better ride for him. Both experience's were good for him. And I’m betting they all learned more from last year’s loss than this year’s win. Hopefully they will tackle life’s challenges with the same determination.

Was a pretty good day to be a grandpa. It usually is. I very much love my family especially the little ones.

Bjrogg

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #988 on: November 26, 2023, 12:04:51 am »
Exciting game BJ! My grandsons team made it to the middle school superbowl. He got the first TD with a 65 yd return! I call him Forest! They ended up losing bad. I'd swear some of those other kids were regular high schoolers! They were as big as me! WE ended up losing 43 to 12 with one of ours going out in an ambulance.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #989 on: November 26, 2023, 04:55:05 am »
Way Kewl !  (=) Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.