Main Discussion Area > Muzzleloaders

TC stock makeover

(1/12) > >>

Eric Krewson:
On a whim I bought a 15/16" GM .54 drop in barrel for a TC and planned to put it in my .50 TC. After getting the barrel (now as scarce as hens teeth) I decided to find a TC stock with all the hardware and make another complete gun.

I found a stock online, bought it and put together my extra gun. The stock wasn't in bad shape but a bit worn around the edges, I decided to refurbish the stock to new so it would match the new barrel I had on it. The standard TC stock design leaves a lot of room for improvement particularly with the cheek piece, wrist and height of the comb. The forearm is too square and bulky as well.

I will make the old stock look like my other TC after reworking the stock. I reshaped and re-inletted a lot on this stock.

I am starting with this;

Stripped off the hardware;

I wanted to run the tang bolt through the wrist and thread it into the trigger plate but found  when I disassembled the gun that this is a very old stock with a trigger model that doesn't have enough metal in front of the spring to thread for the tang bolt. A common fix for this is to install a threaded bushing in the wood just above the trigger inlet so you can do away with the tang wood screw and replace it with a much stronger bolt. They sell these at Lowe's in 11-32, I am going to install one for the front and back screw.

I use ZIP Strip to get the old finish off the stock so I am off to Lowe's to buy some.

Eric Krewson:
I picked up the stock finish stripper and found Lowe's didn't have 10-32  screw in inserts, they only had only 10-24, Home Depot did have them in 10-32.

PaulN/KS:
Looks like a fun and worthy project there Eric.  :OK
I remember a fellow at the Muzzleloader Forum years back who liked to gather up TC parts and stocks and then put together some very nice guns. You remember him..?

Eric Krewson:
I seem to remember that guy, me.

This was my last random parts project, NOS stripped down barrel in the white, a TC Renegade a stock that looked like someone had batted rocks with it, I steamed all the dents out, and an L&R RPL lock. I bought some parts off eBay like the under rib and thimbles.

It was a lot of work but came out nice.

PaulN/KS:
Yeah I knowed it was you Eric...  ;)
That Renegade makeover looks pretty sharp. I had one in 54 caliber years back that was my 1st muzzle loader.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version