Author Topic: Found a string material that damages tips  (Read 1708 times)

Offline organic_archer

Found a string material that damages tips
« on: January 25, 2022, 11:07:04 am »
Did some testing, and Brownell Fury will most definitely saw your bow’s self nocks off, even with B50 padded loops.

I’ve made hundreds of 14-16 strand D97 strings with B50 padded loops and have never had one damage a nock. They’ve been standard attire on my customer work and personal bows for years.

I picked up a 1# spool of Fury on clearance to test out. Even with 22 strands and padded loops, it started sawing the tips off two hackberry longbows. Twenty-two strands is certainly a “fat string”. There was visible damage after less than 100 shots. There was also evidence of minor damage to osage self nocks after a couple hundred shots. They advertise it as the strongest string material on the market. It’s 100% UHMW Polyethylene. 

I always wondered why there were so many rumors of FF damaging self bows when I’d never had any issues. Now I know. Sorry for being unfaithful, D97… it’ll never happen again!  :P

Anyone else have similar findings? I don’t use overlays, so now I have a giant spool of Fury and no use for it. If any of you guys using horn/antler overlays wanna trade for some D97, check the trading post.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 11:34:12 am by organic_archer »
Owner
Organic Archery
Hand-Crafted Longbows & Wooden Arrows

Offline Selfbowman

Re: Found a string material that damages tips
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022, 11:58:30 am »
D97 all the way for Arvin. Gave away 8 spools of B 50 once I tried D97.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Black Moshannon

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2022, 12:31:18 pm »
I used to use B-50 but now have gone to just Irish linen. It looks good, feels softer on the fingers and the Bowyers Bible says it’s fast.

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2022, 12:58:01 pm »
The most string material is Dyneema.

D97 is Dyneema SK75, Fast Flight + is also Dyneema SK 75 and that is a HMPE yarn

Fury is Dyneema SK90, a UWHMPE yarn

Dyneema SK 99 is the newest step in the evoltion of Dyneema. You found it in Rampage. Also a UWHMPE yarn.

A good example that the new ones aren't always the better ones.... especially with self-nocks.

P.S. may be there is a language difference between UWHMPE and UHMWPE - I think it means the same ;)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 01:06:31 pm by AndrewS »

bownarra

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2022, 04:19:35 am »
It is all just slightly different blends of dyneema. Slightly different creep levels and the surface coating texture, some are slippier than others. Google amsteel properties if you want the facts. I do a thing called highlining...we use amsteel regularly to make things called soft shackles and whoopie slings.
Fury is an excellent material but is normally used with served loops. I would be interested to see the damage to your nocks. I can't see it just being a string material issue?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2022, 09:24:37 am »
What kind of string wax do you use in the loops?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2022, 09:45:18 am »
D97 all the way for Arvin. Gave away 8 spools of B 50 once I tried D97.
Same here once I started using fast flight +.I pad the loop with three 9" strands of artificial sinew into a 3 ply string.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bassman211

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2022, 09:48:30 am »
Bear co. makes two models of their Grizzly. From the factory one model comes with  wood tip over lays ,and is equipped with B50, or B55  string. The other model comes with phenolic tip over lays, and comes equipped with low stretch string. The common denominator  is tip over lay material. I would  use buffalo horn tip over lays ,or some thing similar if I were to use that string material.

Offline organic_archer

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2022, 10:43:46 am »
Glad to hear some of you guys’ experience.
I’m sure you’re right Andrew. Just different acronyms for the same thing, perhaps.
The surface coating texture makes sense bownarra. It just “feels” more abrasive than D97.
Eric - 100% beeswax.

I already cut 1” off the tips off and remade them, put a D97 on it, and it stopped the problem straight away.

The offending strings were 22 strand Fury, 2 ply double loop Flemish, with 2 strands of b50 padding per  ply in the loops.

It wasn’t an isolated incident. The same string recipe damaged 3 bows in a row before they were even fully shot in. Scratching my head a bit on this one, but it left me untrusting of Fury for sure.
Owner
Organic Archery

Offline organic_archer

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2022, 10:55:41 am »
Here's one of the Fury strings (grey) next to one of my D97's (gold). Nothing out of the ordinary. Same diameter. Same 2-strand-per-ply padding.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 11:02:30 am by organic_archer »
Owner
Organic Archery

bownarra

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2022, 04:03:16 am »
Bear co. makes two models of their Grizzly. From the factory one model comes with  wood tip over lays ,and is equipped with B50, or B55  string. The other model comes with phenolic tip over lays, and comes equipped with low stretch string. The common denominator  is tip over lay material. I would  use buffalo horn tip over lays ,or some thing similar if I were to use that string material.

You can use 'fastflight' (trade name for dyneema) without having to use special material for nocks. No problem at all to use dyneema based strings with wood overlays or correctly designed selfnocks.
The issues tend to come when the string is too narrow or the shoulders on the nocks haven't been formed well.

Offline bassman211

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2022, 08:22:24 am »
Organic archer found a material that is damaging his wood tips. To stop that, the answer I stated above is a correct, common sense answer according a major Bow co. that has been in existence for decades, maybe longer than you are old, and has to warranty their bows. Not that much work to add a set of safe over lays  to a wood bow, so we can agree to disagree.

bownarra

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2022, 11:30:13 am »
Quite a few assumptions in that last statement ;) but hey ho....
Don't stress about it :)

Offline bassman211

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2022, 04:13:06 pm »
My bad if you are older  than 77. ;) The rest is not assumptions. Common sense facts. (=)

Offline Flntknp17

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2022, 06:16:22 pm »
I used to use B-50 but now have gone to just Irish linen. It looks good, feels softer on the fingers and the Bowyers Bible says it’s fast.

Where do you buy it?  I bought a spool maybe 20 years ago and it was fantastic stuff, but haven't been able to find it recently.

Matt