Author Topic: Bowyer book recommendations  (Read 1024 times)

Offline BJung

Bowyer book recommendations
« on: February 05, 2022, 12:46:03 pm »
What bowyer books have you read and what is your opinion of them. If possible, can you compare them to other bowyer books you read? I am new to this hobby and have prepared by age drying billets in a garage for a year. Meanwhile I might start visiting lumber yards for practice staves. The books I'm now reading are the 4 volume series of The Traditional Bowyer's Bible. These books are quite comprehensive. I'll mention the contents of what I've read so far (I've only read 2 of the volumes and am reading a third). Volume one mentions the different types of woods to choose and designs to match the wood density, and introduction of tillering and backing of the bow and why, Volume two mentions board bows, simple composite bows and how to bend wood to make recurves and even making strings and broadheads. I've ordered Volume three and have just started Volume four because I want to make a composite laminated bow to replace my current Bear bows. In volume four, I've read about heat tempering the belly side of a bow to increase poundage and am reading about the making of flight bows. This is obviously a summary and is what I remember off the top of my head. But these books go into detail mentioning the compression and tension of wood so you know why a backing improves a bow's performance. Yet, if you want, you can recreate a bow used by the early Europeans to the Native Americans and to some degree but so far only mentioned, eastern recurve bows.

Offline bassman211

Re: Bowyer book recommendations
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2022, 01:31:41 pm »
You now no all the basics. Time for hands on training. Making straight grained board bows is a good way to start until you hone your skills. Then you can start playing with staves.

Offline rps3

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2022, 01:39:58 pm »
I've yet to read a bad bow making book. They have all helped in different ways. Hunting the osage bow is my favorite.
You will want to re read them all after some hands on experience.

Offline BJung

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2022, 02:31:40 pm »
I've tend to find some books has having more or less the same information and others. Then, there are a few that have gems that the one's I've read did not mention. Next to the series I've read, can you comment on the other bowyer books you've read that fits the latter? I also have a tool question and will post it separately.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2022, 03:45:45 pm »
read as many as you can :)

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2022, 04:08:27 pm »
Try Paul Comstock, "The Bent Stick"; Dr Al Herrin "Bows and Arrows of the Cherokee"(he is Cherokee),
Jim Hamm, et al, "Bows and Arrows of the Native Americans", and any others you can lay hands on!  Post
questions here - these folks have a wealth of knowledge and will share.  Make chips and shavings, but be patient; you won't be able to do it in a day or even a weekend.  Straight grain wood, and learn to listen to the wood, it will take you where it wants to go!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2022, 05:58:34 pm »
I agree with all the comments and will add, reread volume s 1 and 4 again. I like Comstock although there isn't much new after the bibles. Anything Hamm is good. Lots of good reading on many websites as well
Don

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2022, 06:36:24 pm »
Definitely good information above. There are also some very good bowyers on YouTube that are willing to share knowledge and information. Check out Ryan Gill, Swiftwood bows and Clay Hayes to name a few. Also, there's some great build-a-longs on this site loaded with great information. Good luck.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline RyanY

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2022, 08:53:55 pm »
I’ve read a few other books than the TBB. Nothing will teach you more than building bows at this point and experimenting yourself. The amount of information online these days vastly outweighs anything in any single book. That is, if you have the patience and drive to seek it out.

Offline BJung

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2022, 01:13:42 am »
Thanks for your recommendations everyone. I think I have enough resources to start and continue studying while building bows.

bownarra

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2022, 01:31:37 am »
Start making shavings :)
Too much reading won't help you at this point.
I would also advise against getting advise from here there and everywhere! You will find after doing this for a while that there are a lot of misconceptions in bowyery.....not everybody is right!
Good luck and listen to the wood. Set is the wood speaking to you...and the wood is NEVER wrong!