Author Topic: Hog bow backing?  (Read 1565 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Hog bow backing?
« on: February 09, 2022, 01:21:59 pm »
Got an email from Dave Meade and he's selling this "super hog bow backing" material.

Anyone know what this stuff is or have a general opinion about it? 

I don't want to crap on Mr. Meade and don't blame him for keeping his trade secrets...well, secret...but I've reached out to him in the past and he won't divulge much.

https://youtu.be/5mcL2RnbUU0
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline aznboi3644

Re: Hog bow backing?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2022, 02:14:10 pm »
I have three sets of hog gut bow backing.  Almost ready to apply it to a short ash mollegabet. Once I get it on there and finished tillering I’ll post up what I think of it

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2022, 01:23:33 am »
I have three sets of hog gut bow backing.  Almost ready to apply it to a short ash mollegabet. Once I get it on there and finished tillering I’ll post up what I think of it

Sound good

I did find another video posted by the guy who makes it.  He's calling it layerd pig gut.

https://youtu.be/k0rN13oOn5Q
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Hamish

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2022, 08:54:26 am »
Interesting,layers of intestine, glued into a sheet. It seems to fit somewhere between sinew, and rawhide. Sounds promising.

I won't be jumping on it anytime soon( I can see plenty of guys giving it a go though), but nice to know there is a viable material to use.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2022, 09:23:27 am »
I did some research on gut many years ago.  The research claimed that gut from cows was by far stronger than any other
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2022, 11:17:15 am »
Mark, did the gut from your research show any performance enhancements?  This pig gut protuct is claiming performance enhancements and I'm wondering if they're full of it or if there's merit.

Could one get the same net result washing the salt off of hog casings, split them down  the middle, and hide glue them to a bow back?
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2022, 09:52:07 pm »
The research I did was for gut strings.  I can't see how backing a bow with gut would improve performance by itself
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Morgan

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2022, 10:49:57 pm »
I did some research on gut many years ago.  The research claimed that gut from cows was by far stronger than any other
Did you get it from a butcher, or was it your own? If you bought it, what did you ask for? Just cow gut or is there a term for it like hog casing?

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2022, 11:07:11 am »
I plan on applying this 8 layer gut backing into my ash stave with 4” of reflex.  We will see how much it holds