Author Topic: Osage Hill-Style ALB  (Read 1369 times)

Offline TimmyDeNorCal

Osage Hill-Style ALB
« on: April 17, 2022, 04:19:17 pm »
The story behind this bow began months ago when I was researching Howard Hill & Hill-style longbows & I stumbled across John Schulz’ “Hitting ‘Em Like Howard” video on YouTube. And while I was there for Howard Hill info, I instantly fell in love with John Schulz instead!

And I also fell in love with the longbow Mr. Schulz was using in the video. It was sleek, narrow, & quick. The only drawback was yes, it was a glass-powered bow. Anyway, I started researching Mr. Schulz…and unfortunately, like so many other traditional & primitive archery legends, he has passed away…but he leaves an amazing traditional archery legacy (books could - and probably should! - be written about John Schulz).

I also started looking for John Schulz bows. After a few months I finally found one - a 60# @ 26” “American Longbow” named “The Legend.” It is 4 tempered bamboo laminations under brown glass. I was amazed by the light weight of the bow…and also by the slender limbs and tiny tips! It was crafted with many of the design elements that we in the self bow community have been employing for quite a while now. And it was FAST! I had heard countless times over that Hill-style longbows were dogs. But that is not always true (obviously it depends on the bow profile, materials used, and the actual bowyer).

And so after all of this I decided I had to create my own American Longbow self bow. And here is that bow & its specs:

* Osage Orange
* 67” Tip-to-Tip; 65 5/8” Nock-to-Nock
* 46# @ 28”
* Max limb width = 1.25”
* Maple tip overlays
* Black Cherry stain (1 light coat); Spar Urethane finish (~5 light coats)
* D97 String (8 strands) with Dacron/B55 padded loops
* Slightly dished out handle
* Chronograph results: 46# @ 28” with a 460 grain arrow = 170 fps, 168 fps, 170 fps

** Lastly, I followed the instructions for adding photos but evidently it is only allowing me to provide a link to the bow photos on my flickr account. Hopefully this is acceptable for all, as I do not see any other options (Weylin mentioned a "bb code" but flickr only offered me 1 link to copy and include in this posting!!).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/195415237@N05/shares/9u7812

Offline simk

Re: Osage Hill-Style ALB
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2022, 04:46:07 pm »
neat bow - looks narrow and efficient. nice finish and pics too  :OK I myself have been looking into the longbow design a bit lately - they are not slow at all.
cheers
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2022, 11:25:47 pm »
Well done and I am a fan of Shultz myself. Taught Deb to shoot . The video anyhow.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline superdav95

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2022, 11:28:26 pm »
Sweet lookin bow   Very nicely finished
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2022, 08:54:41 am »
Nice looking now. I like the stain, it came out really nice. Yes, Mr. Shultz made some beautiful bows. Some were all boo with no backing, also.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2022, 06:16:41 pm »
If you have the images in your computer, it's no trick to post them here directly. Just use the attachments button and upload them. (They do have to be within the size limits.)
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine