Author Topic: Sand paper tillering.  (Read 9278 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Sand paper tillering.
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2008, 03:29:21 am »
                                                      Nope......sandpaper in Your Hand!!!
                                                                           8)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

radius

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2008, 04:16:21 am »
yeah, i save that pleasure for the final tune-up...making it all smooth and pretty...what do i look like i'm retired?!?!?!?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2008, 08:59:48 am »
Hey.....being Retired ain't such a Bad thing......I plan on doing that here before too long.........and moving over by Pappy somewhere near Paris Tennessee....in Gods Country USA!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2008, 04:04:53 pm »
Sand paper on a strick ? ???  how does that work ?

I like the slow process of using handtools, just part of the beayty IMO
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

radius

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2008, 04:20:24 pm »
sand paper on a stick: you know:  a power sander!

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2008, 06:49:11 pm »
HOO, I see, ...don't even know how those guys look ;D ;D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline uwe

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2008, 05:06:33 pm »
...and they make the tool dump.

uwe, do you mean 'jump' for 'creating a washboard surface' ??

Sorry, didn`t look into the dictionary! I mean: the small gridparts make the tools blunt.
Regards

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2008, 06:46:47 pm »
Now uwe, is that your experiance ? or are you just quoting other people's writings ?

If that's your experiance, that's O.K. but I can tell you how to get the best out of your tools (if you're using a scraper)

If you're just quoting someone else, I tell you what, that is happening so often nowadays, and to be honest with you it's quite annoing ;)
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2008, 11:33:06 am »
I use a cheap $16 Chinese orbital sander from wally world to do my final tillering, usually with 220 grit paper. I like the stick on sheets of sand paper even though this sander is made for the clamp in sheets. I stick on a sheet, wear it out and then heat the stuck on sheet with my heat gun to get it off cleanly.

The best thing about these orbital sanders is they will get all the washboard dips off the belly of your bow left from previous aggressive scrapers. You do have to go over the bow with a good hand sanding to get rid of the tiny circles left by the orbital sander. They only show up after you put the first coat of finish on, just like every other tiny tool mark you may have missed.

Offline uwe

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2008, 09:26:34 am »
Now uwe, is that your experiance ? or are you just quoting other people's writings ?

If that's your experiance, that's O.K. but I can tell you how to get the best out of your tools (if you're using a scraper)

If you're just quoting someone else, I tell you what, that is happening so often nowadays, and to be honest with you it's quite annoing ;)

Sorry, but a simple knife gets dull by the small gridparts. Didn`t know that you already noticed it and I didn`t want to annoy you, but could it be that even others are reading this thread and they like to get some info? ;)
Regards Uwe

Offline StanM

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2008, 12:07:24 pm »
I've noticed in my archery class that some of the students go thru sandpaper like lightning, while I can do more than one bow with a quarter sheet.  Best I can tell is that they are pushing way too hard on the sandpaper, especially with the coarser grits, removing some of the grit which I guess could be embedded in the wood  ???

Kinda funny, but I sharpen almost all of my woodworking tools with a simple jig I made and sandpaper.  I think it's a great way to get things sharp, didn't know it could also get them dull  ;D

Stan

This house is where I take my natural rest, but my home is out there, beyond the back door.   ~ Albert "Salmo" McClain, 1965

Oregon

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2008, 01:51:50 pm »
I hardly use any sandpaper on my bows. I use a scraper for my final tillering, and just go over the whole bow with about 220 grit to smooth it before I out the finish on it. I finish all the sanding I'll do an a bow in about 5 minutes.
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Badger

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2008, 02:34:42 pm »
   I guess my favorite tool is the scraper on most woods. I keep a rasp and some 60 grit sandpaper handy to smooth out washboards. I notice different bows respond different to different tools. Scraper, rasp, spokeshave, draw knife and some sandpaper will almost certainly get the job done on any wood I can think of. Steve

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2008, 06:33:11 am »
Yeah Sean, I've heard of bowyers that do that with scraper, I'm not yet good enought to be able to shape, keep the taper consistent and round the cornes properly with the scraper, ....sand paper gives me that.

uwe, I can't comment on kives, I use a scraper and I have no problems of it getting dull because of the using of sand paper
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII