Author Topic: 2024 Bow Trade - sign up open  (Read 440 times)

Offline Kidder

2024 Bow Trade - sign up open
« on: May 13, 2024, 12:32:38 pm »
Welcome to the 2024 Primitive Archer Bow Trade! The purpose of the trade is to share our skills with our community here and make the BEST bow you have ever made for your recipient, and to have a lot of fun along the way! It really should hurt a little to send out your bow. This trade is about the bow you build, not the bow you receive. If you do not share this philosophy, then please do not sign up.  If you do share this then, let's get building!  The rules for the trade are listed below.

Please read this entire post before signing up so you know what you are getting into.  Here is how to sign up:

1.  Send me a PM with the following information:
     Full Name
     Full Address
     Email Address
     Telephone number
     Which Country(ies) you will ship to
ALSO PLEASE INCLUDE A LINK TO A SUCCESSFUL COMPLETED BOW YOU HAVE POSTED HERE - IT WILL MAKE MY LIFE EASIER!

2.  Reply to this post with, I'm in and include bow specs preferred
     Example:  LH or RH
     Draw Weight 45-55 pounds
     Draw length 27 to 29 inches

Here are the rules:
A.  In order to sign up, you must have posted at least one successful bow on this site.  Please don't be offended if I ask for verification. If you previously participated in the trade but were unable to provide a successful bow in that trade, you must provide me with proof you have completed one successful bow since.
B.  All participants in this trade need to participate in the thread and post pictures of their progress,  Start out by posting a picture of the stave, staves, board, billets, etc. that you plan to use for the build.  then continue to post progress of your build. If a participant does not post the progress of their build then it is up to my discretion to remove them from the trade (I only do this after several failed attempts to communicate with you several different ways!)
C.  No bows should be shipped to someone that is not making progress on their bow.  If you are done with your bow and ready to ship, please be in touch with me to help decide if you should ship or not.
D.  Any participant that chooses can also build a second bow to be used as a reserve.  The reserve bows will be used to ensure that ALL participating members get a bow.  Please let me know if you plan to build a reserve bow so if it is needed I know who to contact.
E.  Deadline for signing up will be the end of the day, June 10th.
F.  Shipping deadline will be Wednesday, January 1, 2025.
G.  Have fun.
H.  Communicate with me.  I understand things happen that can keep you from building a bow.  If this happens, the sooner you can let me know, the better.  I can then reshuffle the trade and everything can work out.
I. I’m looking for an “on time bow” draw item - selfbowman build a bow 3 years ago, the next year I donated a dozen sure-wood shafts, and last year SuperDav donated a boo backed hickory. If anyone has aspirations to build an incentive bow or even just wants to throw in a small item please let us know!

I’m going to participate and here are my stats
RH
26” draw
45-65 lbs

Let's make this a great trade!

Thank you.

Brendan

Offline Will B

Re: 2024 Bow Trade - sign up open
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2024, 10:04:51 pm »
“I’m in”.
Right hand
Draw weight: 45-55#
Draw Length: 28”

Offline superdav95

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2024, 01:19:36 am »
I’m in. 

R/H
50-55
29” draw
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Mafort

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2024, 12:35:51 am »
I’m in
RH
40-45
28”

Offline Juan Ant. Espinosa

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2024, 02:25:56 pm »
How people are meassuring draw length in that bow trades? From the string till the first touch of the hand on the handle?
If draw length counts from the string till the back of the handle, then depending on the deep the handle is, the same person would have very different draw lengths; I guess.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2024, 03:32:41 pm »
I measure from the back of the bow to the string at full draw.  What I do is take an old arrow and mark it with increments of 1/2” out to 30”.  Then draw to your full draw length and either have someone take note of the marking it touches the back of the bow and that’s your draw or have a piece of masking tape ready to place on the arrow at the back of bow.  I find this works well if by myself to determine the draw of a specific bow build and calculate draw weight at a specific draw length.  Good grip position, solid Anchor point, back tension and good form all being considered of course.  Once all that is figured on a proper draw length for traditional bow can be measured.  There are many schools of thought on snap shooting and short draws out there too when we talk about primitive bows, With or without arrow shelves.  So many factors come into play on the various type of bows as well that determine how they are drawn back and shot that have a bearing of draw length.  When I was practicing my short draw a little while ago I tend to draw that bow more horizontal orientation.  Obviously this type of draw will be shorter but one can be fairly accurate with it.  Anyway for me the back of the bow to the drawn string where the arrow nocks.  Measurements from the inside of the nock of arrow to the back of bow more specifically. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline SamH

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2024, 03:35:04 pm »
I'm in.
RH
45-65
28"

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2024, 08:37:12 pm »
I measure from the back of the bow to the string also, the back never changes the inner part of the grip dose.  ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Juan Ant. Espinosa

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2024, 07:37:51 pm »
Pappy, the body is the one that doesn´t change (a little with the years)... the back of the bow changes in distance to the string when the same body open a bow with a more or less deeper handle.
So, if you are pulling from the string to your palm say 26", if the handle is 1 inch deep, your draw lenght would be 27". But if the handle is 2 inches deep, your draw length would be 28"... measuring from the string till the back of bow.

If the method is this one, is necessary to specify what kind of handle every one have used to find its own draw lenght. Otherwise makers and users could be talking about different things.