Author Topic: Snakeskins over sinew  (Read 1320 times)

Offline Will B

Snakeskins over sinew
« on: June 14, 2022, 08:07:25 am »
I sinew-backed (2-layers) an Osage recurve with hide glue 6 weeks ago. I decided to apply some snakeskins over the sinew. I applied a layer of TB III and let it dry, then put a light coat of TB III on with the rehydrated skins and wrapped with ace bandages.

How long would you recommend I wait before shooting this bow?  Thanks for your thoughts.

Offline superdav95

Re: Snakeskins over sinew
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2022, 09:21:25 am »
Not sure how thick your layers are and how long you waited before applying second layer but here is a basic rule of thumb for dry times between layers.  The thicker the layer laid down the longer dry time essentially.  Curing time is more still.  Depends too on climate but I’d leave it a good 5-6 months here where I’m at.  Below was provided to me when I was building a sinew bow.  Best of luck on your build. 

1 mm thick  - 2 weeks
2mm thick - 4 weeks
3mm thick - 9 weeks
4mm thick 16 weeks
5mm thick - 25 weeks
Drying times = thickness squared.
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2022, 01:42:36 pm »
I think a few weeks is ok,,
if you string it and the tiller looks off,, then wait another few weeks,, as stated just depends on where you are at,,

Offline Will B

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2022, 02:28:33 pm »
Thanks Superdav95 and Brad

Offline Mafort

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2022, 05:26:38 pm »
lay it out in the sun for a few hours each day. i usually have sinew dry in 2 weeks time and my bows are usually highly reflexed from it in this period. the wind and heat from the sun help alot. Tightbond needs 24-48 hours when applied to snake skins and over sinew. lay it in the sun for a day or two and allow it to cool and they should be good to go. thats what i usually do and ive had no issues.

Offline Will B

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2022, 06:42:08 pm »
Thank you Mafort!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2022, 03:34:27 am »
It's up to you Will.I usually don't put a snake skin on till it's tillered and shot in over a few weeks.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Will B

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2022, 07:10:22 am »
Thanks Ed. I tillered this bow and shot maybe a hundred arrows out of it. It held the tiller so I went ahead with applying the snakeskins. Bow shoots good and the skins turned out nice.