Author Topic: mulberry?  (Read 1167 times)

Offline Nasr

mulberry?
« on: July 18, 2022, 09:26:32 am »
A friend of mine has offered a mulberry tree that would yeild some staves. It seems to be red mulberry but need to verify when i get there might be white.
he mentions also that he had cut some trees beforehand and are laying on the ground at the moment. i was wondering if that would would be ok to use. I know that some woods are ok while white woods are a no no when they have been left laying around for a while. Also is there any use for white mulberry? I cant seem to get any info on white mulberry bows.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: mulberry?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2022, 12:05:52 pm »
Mulberry is excellent bow wood and I believe red is the one you want. Make a bow about 10% longer and wider than a comparable osage bow. I know that mulberry is somewhat rot resistant but it would matter how long it's been on the ground. I wouldn't trust the whitewood on one on the ground but the heartwood may be OK.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Nasr

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2022, 02:03:13 pm »
from what he has told me its been sitting there on the ground for about 2-3 weeks. i wouldnt be able to pick it up till this weekend which would add another week. it seems to have some checking but not too bad yet.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2022, 07:02:15 pm »
That's not too long. Get it as soon as you can, split it into staves and get it in the dry. Fungi needs moisture to thrive. I think I'd only use the heartwood on those just in case.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Nasr

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2022, 11:09:34 pm »
That's not too long. Get it as soon as you can, split it into staves and get it in the dry. Fungi needs moisture to thrive. I think I'd only use the heartwood on those just in case.  :OK

Will do thank you.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2022, 08:36:32 pm »
I made one from red mulberry. Yes, make it a little wider than osage. Yes, remove the sapwood provided you have enough heartwood for a bow. You can leave a sapwood ring if need be.

The bow did fine until I brought it to Mojam in MO 2003. Then it took some additional set.

LOL. I should have known better after having spent 4 months at humid Ft Leonard Wood.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!