Author Topic: A Swiss stone age HLD bow  (Read 1449 times)

Offline Aksel

A Swiss stone age HLD bow
« on: August 09, 2022, 11:15:57 am »
Hi all, here is my latest bow, a stretched replica of a bow found in the Swiss alps, dated to apr. 5000 years ago. A number of yew bows was found in the region which show a very familiar feature. The HLD, or hollow limb design! This stone age HLD, or semi-HLD eventually died out. Maybe it was a trend and people in the end thought, nah lets just keep it simple, it isnīt worth it..

Anyways, the HLD is found on both longbows and flat limbs-narrow handle bows with a propeller shape front profile.

I do find it interesting and am making some replicas and adaptations with the help of Jürgen Junkmanns great book "Pfeilen und Bogen" which in great detail describes all old bows with measurements and photos.

The concavity on this bow isnīt that exaggerated. On some bows itīs quite pronounced, on others just a few mm.

Original was around 160 cm. My interpretation is 169, otherwise I have tried to follow the measurements to +/- a couple mm.
#45@27"

I am quite interested to hear from others who have experimented with the HLD at what point of hollowing you begin to see a positive effect, and what possible advantages this not so extreme hollowing could give?

On this bow the concavity ends halfway out the limbs and translates into flat belly outerlimbs, but on others it went right through the nocks.

Another very odd feature of these early stone age bows is that they worked the sides on the sapling, rounding them off to create an exaggerated very high round back crown, only leaving a thin ( a few mm) strip of untouched outer ring on top the crown along the length of the bow.

The bow mainly bends where I hollowed it out with relatively stiff outer limbs and there is a certain amount of give in the handle.

Any thoughts on this design welcome!
Aksel

« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 09:16:30 am by Aksel »
Stoneagebows

Offline Aksel

Re: A Swiss stone age HLD bow
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2022, 11:20:17 am »
..hm.. images turned out rather grainy. Ill see if I can figure out how to increase their quality.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 11:54:41 am by Aksel »
Stoneagebows

Offline Aksel

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2022, 11:55:05 am »
full draw
Stoneagebows

Offline smoke

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2022, 03:21:57 pm »
Very cool bow and well executed!  How does it shoot?

Offline Aksel

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2022, 04:24:03 am »
Thanks! it was perhaps a mistake to make it longer, it is very comfortable to shoot but a bit slow compared to my other bows so I might cut 4" off to bring it to its original dimensions..
Stoneagebows

Offline organic_archer

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2022, 11:51:06 pm »
Awesome bow! I enjoy following your historical reproductions. Nothing wrong with 160cm for a 27” draw. It’ll be more efficient with a heavier draw weight, and will probably pep right up!
Owner
Organic Archery
Hand-Crafted Longbows & Wooden Arrows

bownarra

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2022, 03:06:17 am »
The concave belly would also tie in with how wood shrinks :)
Ever thought about that? Flat sawn boards cup as they dry.

Offline Aksel

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2022, 07:12:28 am »
Awesome bow! I enjoy following your historical reproductions. Nothing wrong with 160cm for a 27” draw. It’ll be more efficient with a heavier draw weight, and will probably pep right up!

Thanks! I did pike it, so letīs see how it does..  Really like your bows. Am working on a eastern woodlands "style" bow with inspiration from  something I saw you make...

The concave belly would also tie in with how wood shrinks :)
Ever thought about that? Flat sawn boards cup as they dry.

Yes that was my first thought after reading about these bows, but the author of the book is saying the hollowing out is human made and some of these bows are in very good shape and show little sign of shrinkage or cracking (and he talks about drying and warping in many places in the book so he for sure is aware of this). The concave part on my reconstruction is only on the working part on the limb which I think suggests it is deliberate. Some bows of similar cross section found in similar place/condition have flat bellies so I conclude it is on purpose.
Stoneagebows

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2022, 08:01:11 am »
One of the quirks of yew (assuming that is what we are discussing) is that it is largely dimensionally stable regardless of moisture content.

Offline Aksel

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2022, 09:09:21 am »
One of the quirks of yew (assuming that is what we are discussing) is that it is largely dimensionally stable regardless of moisture content.

Good to know, thanks! And yes, we are talking yew here.
Stoneagebows