Author Topic: Elm primitive - 35@28  (Read 1364 times)

Offline lleroy

Elm primitive - 35@28
« on: September 30, 2022, 05:37:08 am »
Hi fellow bowyers,

this is my first bow post on the forum. I've been lurking on the forum for 6 years, and made about 10 shooting- selfbows in the mean time.
This one is about 1m80 long, made from a 6cm elm stave. It's a bit reflex-deflex-snakey in places...
Nocks overlays are from wild cherry, the arrow pass a bit of leather. Finished with two coats of Danish Oil.
It pulls about #35 at 28".

Greetings from Belgium
-- lode

Offline M2A

Re: Elm primitive - 35@28
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2022, 07:54:21 am »
Cool bow lleroy. You must like a challenge. I'd have used some heat to remove that deflex in the lower limb and give my tips a more even unbraced profile to start out with. But thats just me and I like to keep things simple if i can. Thanks for posting your work. Always enjoy seeing what other folks are doing in their shop. How does it shoot?
Mike   

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2022, 08:16:50 am »
Nothing wrong with tillering a bow from it's natural profile and it takes more skill to do that.As far as your tiller shape goes your lucky you are'nt pulling much more weight as more set would be evident on your inner limbs.An easy pulling bow to shoot with though yet.
You have enough width to get your outer third of limbs to bend a little more.
Nice character bow.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline lleroy

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2022, 03:34:31 pm »
On the left side, there is a big knot on the deflex point, I would not have been able to bend the bow straight at that point.
There is a deflex spot on both sides of the handle making the bow look weak in the fades... but yeah, it could have used some more bend in the outers, but it was already at target weight, so I kept it there... Happy with the overall result.

-- lode

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2022, 10:58:09 pm »
the outer thirds could bend a little more,, congrats on very nice bow,,,

Offline StickMark

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2022, 10:45:16 am »
Thanks for posting.
35# at 28 is a great shooting bow; I can only dream of a 28" draw.