Author Topic: What happened to bownarra?  (Read 4128 times)

Offline RyanY

Re: What happened to bownarra?
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2022, 10:33:10 am »
He was certainly critical and opinionated.  I don’t think I recall much negativity compared to some others. I know I have been the same with my responses at times. Communication is difficult online sometimes. His knowledge base will be a loss IMO. He knows how to make a good bow.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2022, 09:19:01 pm »
Yes he tells it the way he sees it. But if you shoot a broadhead 260yds from a fifty  pound boo backed Osage well he knows that’s a good shot. Some on here don’t think much of that. Just saying. Maybe he’s from Texas. 🤠🤠🤠🤠Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2022, 09:45:03 am »
OK, here is the way it is; when archery boards first started up (dial up in the 80s) all the greats joined in, Dean Torges along with all the old guard of famous builders. They were very eager to share their wisdom and knowledge and excited about the new platform but the keyboard warriors wouldn't leave them alone.

As soon as they started posting, the peanut gallery went after them with put downs, the younger critics who knew almost nothing about bow building were relentless. Within a couple of years every one of these icons of our craft dropped off the radar, driven off by the jerks that just had to slam them every chance they got.

It is still going on today, what do you negative comment put down guys feel like you accomplish when you get snarky with another member? I just don't get it.

I am at the stay or go tipping point because of the put downs, I am just a wood hack who has some bow making experience to pass on, not anywhere near being in the league of Dean or the others who kept wood bow making alive though the laminated traditional bow and compound era.

It appears that some folk on bow making forums go into the equivalent of road rage at the drop of hat, these people have been and are continuing to be a thorn in the side of what could be an amazing knowledge pool, available free for all to enjoy and learn from. 

Offline Badger

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2022, 10:23:08 am »
OK, here is the way it is; when archery boards first started up (dial up in the 80s) all the greats joined in, Dean Torges along with all the old guard of famous builders. They were very eager to share their wisdom and knowledge and excited about the new platform but the keyboard warriors wouldn't leave them alone.

As soon as they started posting, the peanut gallery went after them with put downs, the younger critics who knew almost nothing about bow building were relentless. Within a couple of years every one of these icons of our craft dropped off the radar, driven off by the jerks that just had to slam them every chance they got.

It is still going on today, what do you negative comment put down guys feel like you accomplish when you get snarky with another member? I just don't get it.

I am at the stay or go tipping point because of the put downs, I am just a wood hack who has some bow making experience to pass on, not anywhere near being in the league of Dean or the others who kept wood bow making alive though the laminated traditional bow and compound era.

It appears that some folk on bow making forums go into the equivalent of road rage at the drop of hat, these people have been and are continuing to be a thorn in the side of what could be an amazing knowledge pool, available free for all to enjoy and learn from.

Eric, were you active on the boards during the white wood wars? I came in right at the tail end of that. If so I would like to talk to you and others that were a part of that. So many of them have passed on.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2022, 10:34:40 am »
First off, don’t go Eric. The internet can for sure be a double edged sword. I haven’t been on this site long. And for sure I’m probably the greenest of the green. I’ve been on sites where I’ve been harassed and sorta picked on before, not here, but other sites for sure.. I’ve never let that stop me. I don’t recall many posts from bownarra so I can’t comment on him. I would hate to see guys like you,Eric or anyone else with the experience you have leave because they get frustrated with people who can’t understand that you can disagree without being disagreeable. One of my favorite things about this site is that there are a lot of people on here that are older, like myself. Also that there are people from all over the world basically on here. Loosing people like yourself Eric would definitely be a big loss for this site. It’s difficult to read someone’s intent on a website, (sometimes.) when someone starts giving me a hard time on the internet I always remember the Brad Paisley song (I’m so much cooler online) and just laugh. Sometimes people can be idiots online. If you choose to go Eric, all I know is that it’s my loss and this sites as well..  just my opinion, for what it’s worth..

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2022, 01:03:33 pm »
Badger, I was here but I have an iron clad rule for message boards, if I don't have personal experience in an area and pictures to prove it, I stay out of the discussion. My white wood bow making experience is minimal at best, a few hickory bows, a few bamboo backed hickory bows and a few backed red oak bows, not enough to form a valid opinion worth injecting into a discussion. I can say a bamboo backed hickory bow will surprise you as a performer.

I have always had access to more osage than I could use, if one has plenty of osage it is hard to branch out and make white wood bows.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2022, 01:18:28 pm »
Sugar coating ones comment(s) doesn't help anybody learn. I've said that for years, but not so much lately :) 

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Badger

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2022, 01:37:25 pm »
Badger, I was here but I have an iron clad rule for message boards, if I don't have personal experience in an area and pictures to prove it, I stay out of the discussion. My white wood bow making experience is minimal at best, a few hickory bows, a few bamboo backed hickory bows and a few backed red oak bows, not enough to form a valid opinion worth injecting into a discussion. I can say a bamboo backed hickory bow will surprise you as a performer.

I have always had access to more osage than I could use, if one has plenty of osage it is hard to branch out and make white wood bows.

I was more interested in the wars themselves than I was the bows. I would like to get versions from both sides, white wood guys and the osage guys. I thought it might make a cool book with a little embellishment of course.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2022, 04:47:15 pm »
I was there,, was friends with Jim and Tim,, so biased in my thinking,, but did enjoy the converstations and learning,,. so many changed there view or thinking as the years went on,, it was fascinating,,

Offline superdav95

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2022, 02:39:12 pm »
Well said MuskyMan.   I think that a little tact goes a long way on message boards.  So much of the information conveyed in conversation is left out of a text or written word that often lacks the tone and feel of what the writer intends.  Body language is a huge part of the conveyance in any conversation.  When it comes to criticism (constructive) it very tough to do this well without people taking offence.  A good rule to live a happy life is… strive to not offend and to not be easily offended.  I’ve been fortunate on here so far and thankful to all those with generous comments and pointers/advise.  Eric you’ll be missed by me too.  Guys like yourself have a lot to offer this community for sure.  Keep it “alive and kickin”

Cheers. 

Dave
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2022, 04:18:47 pm »
also take into consideration the level of skill or experience when you try to help,,,if its a first bow,, no need to get too deep with it,,,encouragement goes a long way

Offline Badger

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2022, 05:39:58 pm »
I was there,, was friends with Jim and Tim,, so biased in my thinking,, but did enjoy the converstations and learning,,. so many changed there view or thinking as the years went on,, it was fascinating,,

maybe one day soon we can talk about it.

Offline bassman211

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2022, 06:50:47 pm »
Like him ,or not  he is great bow maker with good info. Bow Ed, the Badger, Selfbowman, Super Dave , and many others on here are also all very informative, and gentlemen. Good luck to Bownarra in his future endeavors what ever they may be.