Author Topic: Plant fiber backing questions  (Read 1678 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Re: Plant fiber backing questions
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2023, 01:05:22 pm »

It was Tim Baker who lauded flax as the ideal backing (for regular long bows), as it behaves like incredibly strong wood that you can mold as you like, and apply easily wherever you want.

But since flax is so strong in tension, it can easily overpower the belly of a bow.
So summing up, sinew and plant fibers can both shine or be awful as backing material, it all depends on the design of the bow.

So functionally, if I understand you right, plant fibers are more like backing a bow with a hickory or bamboo strip.  They'll add some draw weight and prevent breakage, but won't pull the bow into reflex or increase speed quite as much as sinew.  I bet that if you steamed some reflex into a bow, or strung it backwards, then added dogbane fibers, it would be a really nice bow.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline willie

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2023, 04:07:39 pm »
Willie, washing will soften the fibers, but before application I soak them of course in hide glue, which softens them again. It's pretty easy, but the hide glue needs to be tacky like hot maple syrup.

thanks Joachim

I have some flax I got from a yarn spinning supplier. it is very thin and soft, but a pain to work with especially to keep straight when handling with sticky fingers.  Do you have any tips for applying such soft fibers?

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2023, 05:21:57 pm »
So functionally, if I understand you right, plant fibers are more like backing a bow with a hickory or bamboo strip.  They'll add some draw weight and prevent breakage, but won't pull the bow into reflex or increase speed quite as much as sinew.  I bet that if you steamed some reflex into a bow, or strung it backwards, then added dogbane fibers, it would be a really nice bow.

Indeed, backing with plant fibers is probably comparable to a bamboo backing, except that you can't perry reflex the flax (like you can with a bamboo backing).
I typically string a bow backwards before adding a fiber backing.

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2023, 05:28:30 pm »
Willie, flax fibers are indeed very soft (unlike sisal). Take small bundles, soak in tacky hide glue, strain the bundle, apply one end from handle and keep pushing this part on the back while you stretch the remainder as you lay and push it down towards the nock end.

At least, that's how I do it.
You'll have to try what suits you best