Author Topic: First try at Osage  (Read 8919 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: First try at Osage
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2022, 12:21:26 am »
killed a few deer with my self bow and sinew backed bows,,
its very fullfilling and good to eat too,, :)

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2022, 09:53:27 am »
Congrats Muskyman, well done.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2022, 12:24:41 pm »
Okay so rawhide is on the bow. Cleaned it up after a day of drying and still have to do a few things to the rawhide (remove ace bandage marks) Thanks JW for the how to.
So the next thing I’d like to do is stain it. From what I’ve read it isn’t easy to do and tends to turn out blotchy. What about painting it? I’m thinking I’d like it to be a light to medium brown color. If I paint it would I use water color paint? I’ve got a few pieces of scrap to test with and plan on doing that but wondering about the longevity. Any thoughts on what might be better, type of paint or stain? I’m thinking I’ll dress up the edges after I paint or stain the back.
Thanks,
Mike

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2022, 12:56:33 pm »
I always prefer leather dye or Minwax stain as I prefer the blotchy, mottled look it gives it. But, that rawhide is truly a blank canvas. I've seen some extravagant art done on rawhide backings.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2022, 01:18:27 pm »
Mike, PD‘S advice is good. I use leather dyes. I think they look great. Make sure your rawhide is good and dry before moving on though. It would be a shame to trap any unwanted moisture. Depending on the moisture levels in your house and the type of heating you have will determine how quickly it will dry out. Remember you’ve added new moisture potential by smoothening out the ridges from your wrap. Don’t be in a rush to put stain and sealer on it give it a few days in a dry environment to be safe. Best of luck I’m sure it will look great.
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2022, 03:50:54 pm »
Thanks Dave and PD. My bow has been sitting in my family room which I heat with a wood burning stove, so it’s dry in there. Nothing I like better then shuffling across the carpet and touching momma on the ear lobe. All kidding aside it’s pretty dry in there. I’m going to work the next couple days so I won be fooling with it till at least the weekend. Then I might check the tiller again. Or it that to soon to bend it?

Offline superdav95

« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2022, 08:11:04 pm »
I bet  you’d be fine by then.  Especially with it being heated with wood stove.  Good for drying things out!   I did a sunburst stain on one of my bows earlier this year using a combination of red, yellow, and black leather dyes.  Here’s pic how it turned out.  Can’t wait to see how you make out mike. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2022, 11:17:39 pm »
Is that stain on rawhide? Beautiful either way. I’m not going to turn something like that out for sure. I am going to play with this thing a bit though. Just to see what I can make it look like.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2022, 11:58:57 pm »
Thanks mike.  Ya it’s hog intestine covering.  It stains the same way.  Here’s one with red stain on rawhide. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline bassman211

« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2022, 12:25:08 am »
Nice bow.  Well done. Organic archer was telling you that your fades are cut straight from riser to limb. Most bow makers cut the fades in an arc for a smoother transition from riser to limb even if it is not a glue on riser. Just a thought for your future builds.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2022, 06:38:30 pm »
Thanks bassman I’ll keep that in mind for the future. Dave what kind of stain or dye do you use? I’ve only been able to find fiebings leather dye mainly online. Or do you use wood stain like minwax or something similar.

Offline Will B

« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2022, 07:43:27 pm »
I’ve done a number of rawhide-backed Osage bows. I’ve always used Feibings leather dye. After the stain is good and dry I finish it with multiple coats of Tru-Oil and a final coat of spar urethane to dull the finish for hunting purposes. My favorite hunting bow is a rawhide backed Osage bow stained with dark brown Feibings dye. Good luck with your build.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2022, 08:12:26 pm »
Thanks bassman I’ll keep that in mind for the future. Dave what kind of stain or dye do you use? I’ve only been able to find fiebings leather dye mainly online. Or do you use wood stain like minwax or something similar.

Mike. I use fiebings alcohol based liquid stain.  I use a bunched up piece of clean rag to apple it. Wear gloves. It stain your hands!   

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2022, 09:29:19 pm »
Thanks guys, that seems to be the leather dye I see the most online. I’ll have to order some. Good looking bow Will.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2022, 10:46:27 am »
After reading jakesnyders post about his bow breaking I’m going to move the bow I’m working on into a different room away from my wood stove and give it a little time to rehydrate before checking the tiller again. Just to be safe, it’s 25 feet or more away from my stove but, it is pretty dry in that room.

I’m going to take a stave down and take it down to a roughed out bow to speed up its drying.
Going to assume I’d take it to about 2 inches wide full length and maybe an inch thickness and leaving some extra wood in the handle then re-seal it?
Should I chase a ring on the back before I take it down to the 2 inch width? Or can I wait on that till I’m ready to start on the bow in 3-4 months?