Author Topic: First try at Osage  (Read 9004 times)

Offline superdav95

Re: First try at Osage
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2022, 02:10:54 am »
I’d leave it sealed on the back and not chase a ring just yet if this is still the same batch you cut earlier this year.  You could still work it down a bit on the belly but don’t rush it as it’s still drying and would be a shame to ruin good piece of Osage. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2022, 10:21:20 pm »
Same batch Dave. This is probably the best piece of it. It’s just a little short for me, with my draw length, so I was going to make a bow for my wife. It’s a really nice stave. No twist, no knots that I can see. Good growth rings.. just to short for me.

Maybe I’ll relax a little on that batch.. at least the better pieces. I’ve got some billets I could play with. Thinking about making a take down bow with one of the sleeves you can get from 3rivers..
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 10:33:02 pm by Muskyman »

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2022, 10:36:16 am »
Well I finally got my leather dye in the mail. Put it on my rawhide backing last night. I used the dauber that came with it and it went on okay for the most part. I did have a few spots where it ran off the side of the rawhide and got on the side of the limbs. Also blotchy like some had said it would be. I’m going to try to put another coat on it and use a cloth this time. Also it seems to rub off onto my hand when I handle it. It might not be completely dry at this point. About 12 hours old, hoping that will stop eventually. Guess I’ll have to seal it with something.
Hoping I can sand the spots I had the runoff off the sides. If I can’t I’ll probably end up staining the sides as I’m not crazy about the look right now.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2022, 10:54:44 am »
Those hold too much dye. I use pieces of cotton t shirt. Dab one in the dye and then dab that on a dry rag to soak some of it out. Start with minimal dye and rub it in thoroughly. Reapply to darken to taste. If it was running off the sides you had way too much dye. An 1/8 teaspoon will usually do an entire bow.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2022, 04:42:43 pm »
Thanks pearly, I pretty much figured I’d gone overboard with the dye using the dauber. I actually started out with a rag and being the impatient guy I am switched to the dauber.. been trying to fight my impatience since I started bow building, I’ve made progress but obviously not there yet.
I took my bow out to the shop today and did manage to get most of the dye off the sides. Also put it on the tillering tree and it looks like I might have a little more work to do on the tiller. Also going to get a regulation bow scale. The one I have now said bow is close to 65 lbs. it was saying closer to 50 before I put the rawhide on. I can pull it but it seems a little heavy but I’m going to wait until I get another scale before I try to finish the tiller. It looks pretty close to me but seems like one limb is bending a little more than the other. The scale I have goes to 4,5 or 600 lbs. I forgot what it goes to exactly but not the best for a bow scale.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2022, 06:10:26 pm »
Got a new bow scale today and checked my bow and it was 55.54 lbs   I was shooting for around 50 lbs
I sanded it real good after that and figured I’ll do any other tillering after I shoot it in. Going to try and put a jute handle on it with a small shelf made of 3 pieces of elk hide I have had for many years.
Here’s a few pictures as it is now right side is the bottom limb
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 06:13:57 pm by Muskyman »

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2022, 06:12:05 pm »
Another

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2022, 06:12:49 pm »
Rawhide stain

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2022, 06:16:18 pm »
Unstrung

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2022, 08:47:58 pm »
Good bend! Well done!
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2022, 10:14:42 pm »
Came out very nice. I like the blotching stain the rawhide took, adds character. Full draw looks great to me. Good job.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2022, 10:26:54 pm »
Nicely done mike!   

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2022, 11:02:07 pm »
I’ll post some final pictures when I get the handle on it. I’m still debating painting the back but don’t want to end up with something I’m not really liking. It is a test piece, sorta kinda. Can’t turn it into something hideous if I do nothing, I kinda like the plain Jane look but, kinda what to play with it too.
Also thought about taking it to the local archery shop if they have a chronograph there. Curious what it might end up shooting but not really important to me at this point.

Thanks to everyone for the help and input. You guys have all been great.

Also got my bowstring material, wax and a copy of the TBB volume I in the mail today. Should have bought the set but it’s a start. Also got a field point weight test kit. Now need to figure out what spline arrows I need get and buy a set

Offline superdav95

« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2022, 01:31:05 am »
Those hold too much dye. I use pieces of cotton t shirt. Dab one in the dye and then dab that on a dry rag to soak some of it out. Start with minimal dye and rub it in thoroughly. Reapply to darken to taste. If it was running off the sides you had way too much dye. An 1/8 teaspoon will usually do an entire bow.

This is exactly the same way I do it. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2022, 11:15:53 am »
Thanks Dave, I did read your post about using a rag and that’s how I started out. The color was really light and being the impatient guy I am I thought I’d go to the dauber and next thing I knew I kinda had a little mess going on.  Lesson learned. I’m working on my patience, I’m just a little slow on the uptake. I was the same way when I started making musky fishing lures. My first ones were awful looking. Finally learned to take my foot off the pedal and got to where I was making some pretty nice ones. I just have to slow down and not try to be done tomorrow.