Author Topic: Hickory bow.  (Read 1915 times)

Offline Muskyman

Hickory bow.
« on: November 04, 2022, 11:05:16 am »
I was looking at what was probably my first stave. It’s hickory and at the time I didn’t know I could peel the bark off it so I took it off with a draw knife. I think that’s what I used but it might have been a machete that I put tape on the blade opposite the handle and used. (lol) Seem to remember trying that once. Anyway I was looking at it and it’s not in to bad of shape but it does have some places that I went through the back somewhat. One place is fairly deep on the outer edge and another that’s more towards the center of it.. it’s fairly narrow maybe 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 wide. It’s still pretty thick and not to the floor tiller stage yet. Think I might salvage a bow out of it? Don’t want to back it mainly because I don’t want to spend the money on this stave. I’ve got some others I can work on and will need backing and would rather put my money into them. I know hickory is tough stuff so I’m hoping I can just sand it out and be okay

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
Re: Hickory bow.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2022, 11:22:28 am »
I have a hickory bow I made something like 25 years ago when I was learning. It has several grain runouts on the back of one limb. It has only been shot maybe three dozen times, but it didn't break--so far. Pulled it again today--didn't break.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 11:35:12 am by Jim Davis »
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2022, 07:15:08 pm »
Go-ahead and make a bow.  Good practice.  Might try some rawhide or sinew wrapping where you think there are possible weak spots, or a Mere-Heath style wrap.
Hawkdancer   
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline superdav95

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2022, 06:15:36 pm »
If your worries about it breaking at that spot or lifting a splinter just linen wrap the spot a little ways above and below it and do a matching wrap on the other limb for looks.  This is preventative but you may still be fine anyway.  It’s cheaper to do then raw hide too.   
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Happy Grandpa

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2022, 03:38:57 pm »
I made a hickory bow from a board. The rings were substantially violated (see picture).
I made the bow 65 lbs to begin with, then reduced it to 52 lb or so over time. The bow has been very durable. I'd make the bow.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2022, 07:29:58 pm »
Grandpa. How wide are the limbs on that bow? They look narrow in the picture. My stave is pretty narrow but still pretty thick. Is that a flat bow or some other style? Mine has pretty good reflex in it as well. I’ll probably try to make something with it but I’ve been working on a Osage stave right now but do plan on getting back to this one.

Offline Happy Grandpa

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2022, 12:11:19 pm »
Bow is a flat bow, 1 3/4" wide. Picture is of the edge.

Offline bassman211

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2022, 12:03:47 am »
Fire harden it on a form ,and make it a bend through handle bow design. It works good with hickory.