Author Topic: does a bow with a shelf perform better  (Read 6722 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: does a bow with a shelf perform better
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2022, 11:46:53 am »
Brad's question was about shelves (never had a problem shooting without them) but then, center shot or nearly so was introduced into the equation.

Of course, arrows shot from center shot bows recover from the effects of winding around the handle but proper tuning negates that.

Then, we went off talking about flight shooting. 

I used to have places to do that close to home but no longer because of new homes.

So here we are and I am also glad PD popped in.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2022, 09:33:23 am »
They perform better for my applications. Try hanging a knuckle bow on a bow hook with an arrow nocked. Gravity wins every time. Or, try shooting a knuckle bow with no glove on your bow hand. Then add a thick glove on that hand and try again.
I do.
That's another modern habit.I hold my bow across my lap while in the stand.I've shot many an arrow across my naked knuckle.Still hav'nt been stabbed.I don't wrap the front end of my feathers either.I taper mine and put a drop of duco glue on it.Let it half dry and flatten it smooth.
I did make myself a leather guard though,because I shoot the same arrows many times.
Like said it works well for me.
They ought to call this site Primitive Archery with all of the modern adaptations.
I can't really bitch though.I find FF string quite the advantage.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 09:43:22 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline superdav95

« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2022, 09:38:54 am »
They perform better for my applications. Try hanging a knuckle bow on a bow hook with an arrow nocked. Gravity wins every time. Or, try shooting a knuckle bow with no glove on your bow hand. Then add a thick glove on that hand and try again.
I do.
I hold my bow across my lap while in the stand.I've shot many an arrow across my naked knuckle.Still hav'nt been stabbed.I don't wrap the front end of my feathers either.I taper mine and put a drop of duco glue on it.Let it half dry and flatten it smooth.

Hey Ed.  I do something similar with mine but use a small drop of thick crazy glue. What’s this duco glue you speak of? 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2022, 09:52:38 am »
Never tried thicker super glue but can see why it would work.Duco is cheap stuff in a tube.Wall Mart carries it also.Does'nt dry quite as fast as super glue but within 30 minutes anyway.It can be molded and flattened as it dries.As soon as it gets a skin on it.

Holds feathers on great too.Even after fetching arrows from a pond after an hour.....ha ha.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2022, 12:48:13 pm »
  if your bow is tuned for shooting off the hand, , the arrow wont hit you and you dont need a glove,,
if the arrow is nocked too low,, or the tiller is off,,or if your release is bad,, it will hit your hand,,,, if the arrow is hitting your hand,, it would hit the rest,, and effect arrow flight in a negative way,,
  I have had days when the arrow hit me,, it was my release most the time,, a bad release is not good for shooting off your knuckle,, but lets you know you need to work on something,, usually for me its not enough pressure on my top finger,, if I correct that the arrow flies better,,,

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2022, 12:58:51 pm »
My comment wasn't about the feather tickling your hand on its way gone. It was about the thickness of the glove and the way you have to change your hand/grip position to accommodate that. Your hand is obviously larger with a glove on and would raise the arrow upward if you didn't move your hand down.   
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2022, 01:10:35 pm »
My comment wasn't about the feather tickling your hand on its way gone. It was about the thickness of the glove and the way you have to change your hand/grip position to accommodate that. Your hand is obviously larger with a glove on and would raise the arrow upward if you didn't move your hand down.   
That's not a problem either.I'm not shooting with a carved in pistol grip handle with a shelf.I shoot bulbous handles.Another modern adaptation.It's easily adjusted with an ever so slightly different grip.It's never that much that I need to change my nocking point on my string.I use dental floss string nocking wraps.
I don't need to convince anybody about this.It's just a fact that's proven to myself over and over.
I'll add here for the skeptical.Your string nock has to be adjusted to your arrow pass with the bow in tiller at full draw drawing in a straight line while on the tillering tree from your string nocking point.Your arrow shaft has to adjusted to your bow.
If any of those things are not right you won't shoot well and with centershot bows even without shelves and full length tapered shoot shafts it gets even better or more forgiving yet.
Each to his own I say.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 02:27:36 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Kidder

« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2022, 01:16:09 pm »
The aspect of a shelf that I find the most helpful is the consistency that can be added. You have a consistent point of contact with the arrow. A proper shelf will have a bevel that minimizes contact with the arrow. These factors increase performance in one sense.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2022, 01:18:05 pm »
Maybe for some but it's hog wash to me.I'm just as consistent the way I do it.
BowEd
Ed

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2022, 01:23:29 pm »
My truck needs a hog wash. Cant even tell what color the pig is.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2022, 01:38:57 pm »
Well at least you live in the country.Stay away from the brine.....ha ha.
Sorry to meet again on a differing subject PD but it was'nt my choice and this site is not what it used to be.
BowEd
Ed

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2022, 01:46:36 pm »
Our road is either a dusty or muddy mess. Never in between :)

Ed, the last thing I worry about is how anybody else enjoys their version of archery and I know we both enjoy our chosen routes. This site is a slowly, sinking ship and the PA "magazine" staff made it that way. I'm forever grateful for the crew of friends from around the country that I made. That cant be taken away. 

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2022, 02:10:31 pm »
bow on left plum bow by Marc,, hard used sinew bow by me on right,, killed a deer with it,, let a friend hold it while strung,,they pulled it back and dry fired it,, lesson learned,, dont let anyone hold your bow strung, bow is now retired,,

Offline bassman211

« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2022, 02:57:32 pm »
It is clear to see we are set on our ways. Varying choices with satisfying results. It is what makes the world go round.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2022, 03:25:38 pm »
i shoot both types of bows,, I just enjoy shooting any bow that is well made,,and I seem to gravitate to the minimum,,a bow with a string,, is magic,,and I am so inspired by the Native bows I have studied,, I enjoy shooting bows of the most simple design,,I made some short bows Sioux Design,, cause I was like why did they do that,,23 inch arrow,, how can that work,, well I made some and shot through the chrono,, 180 fps with an arrow slightly less than 10 gpp,, the bow was above 55# and the arrow in the 450 grain range,, I was like ohhh, thats why they liked that style bow,, I learned,, and still am,, and no need to say,, it didnt have a rest,,like most of those or all of those bows of that design,, it was slightly bend in handle,, so I dont think cutting a rest would work,, that being said I have not tried it,,I do think for longer range accuracy,, you would have to develope the skill,, I was only good out to about 10 yards,, but had not been shooting that way since I was a small child either,, would have been cool to see what level of accuracy was achieved by someone shooting that style bow for a lifetime,,