Main Discussion Area > Primitive Skills

making sinew scrap hide glue help!

<< < (3/4) > >>

Pat B:
I cooked the sinew scraps for a few hours yesterday then shut it off last night. My crock pot has no controls, one temp only. When I use it as a double boiler to keep hide glue workable it seemed to get too hot. I would add a little water to regulate the temp. With this batch of glue making it seems to not get too hot. I started it up again this morning and will let it run for a few hours then strain the liquid(glue) off then reduce the volume as needed to get the right consistency.
 Like Clint said in his older post, the liquid didn't seem sticky. I use a spoon to stir the liquid and between stirring I'd lay it on another spoon to contain any drips. When I picked up the spoon to stir again it was stuck to the spoon it was resting on.  :OK

this is where I began yesterday

this is where it was this morning when I started. I added water last night before I shut it down.

Also like Clint, this is my "cowboy coffee maker" filter that I will strain the glue.

Brian, I got my crock pot from Good Will for $5.

osage outlaw:
Looks good Pat!

Pat B:
How do I know I've cooked it enough? I's probably cooked for 10 to 12 hrs now. There is still lots of "solids" in the mix.

Pat B:
I strained off the glue yesterday and here is the sinew and rawhide scraps that were left over...

I let the glue cool overnight. I put the spoon into the glue to indicate the depth(about 1" deep) in the crock pot and realized it had started to jell. You can see the jelled glue around the spoon...

I'm reheating the glue and will pour it into small plastic containers for storage in the freezer.

bjrogg:
Thanks for sharing this info guys.

It really is good timing for me. I am going to try it soon

Bjrogg

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version