Author Topic: 56 lb Black Locust  (Read 2491 times)

Offline M2A

56 lb Black Locust
« on: January 28, 2023, 01:01:03 pm »
There is nothing fancy about this style but for reasons unknown have had an interest in it since I had first seen it. The Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma refers to it as the Grayson Bow. As its in the Grayson collection #1995-0679. If you have spent any time looking into woodland style bows I'm sure you have seen a picture or drawing. Its the 3rd bow I completed of this style, but none from Osage yet. This bow, that I made, was made from a knot free, rather straight grained, with thick rings but short piece of locust. This particular tree is some of the best locust I have cut but most staves have some pin knots or other character that would not make this style well. Seemed like a good challenge, for me, to try and make a locust bow under 60". 57.5" ntn  was all I was going to be able to get so it was the perfect piece for the style.

I didn't have plans to copy the paint job from the original but after shooting it in and being very happy with the cast I figured why not. Black paint is made from charcoal with egg yolk as a binder. Not the strongest binder and it may ware over time but that's ok. Handle wrap is made from 12' of dogbane cordage I spent 3 evenings of my shop time twisting up. its set into a bed of TBIII I applied to the wood before adding the string, then melted bees wax over top of the cordage. So a bit of TB and the poly string are not very primitive but the rest of the build is.

I was not trying to make an exact copy, but using what I have to make it work. Being Locust I trapped the back 1/8" on both sides. As far as the nocks, the top nock was all that I had to work with and theres a knot in the lower one that I did not want to cut threw so its a bit off centered. Pretty happy with the tiller, while the unbraced profile weather rested or just unstrung is pretty much even. Maybe .5" of temperary set after unstringing. Theres a small amount of natural reflex near the nocks that keeps it from having any string follow. Going to revisit this design down the road for sure. I have some thoughts and ideas on how I can improve upon my version of it and maybe even evolve it into something different. Anyways interested what you all think, good or bad. I'm just having fun and making eastern woodland style bows is some of the most fun I can have. Some of the pictures didn't turn out like I had wanted, The winter sun set can make things look real good or fog out the picture, I'll have to work on that. Had a hard time figuring out which pics to put in so pretty much going to put them all in here, figure you guys like pictures as much as I do:) Thanks, Mike
IMG_5278 (2) by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_E5279 (2) by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_5285 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr

IMG_5296 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_5281 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_5298 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_5289 (3) by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_5286 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_5300 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_5291 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_5292 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_5299 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_5297 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_5290 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_5288 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: 56 lb Black Locust
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2023, 01:05:04 pm »
Nice design and beautiful bend in this little BL bow, Mike.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2023, 01:32:01 pm »
That is just awesome. Very nice tiller. Just beautiful. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2023, 01:40:54 pm »
Very nice bow, and I love the paintjob you did there!

Offline Aksel

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2023, 02:06:56 pm »
Very nice primitive bow: simple looking yet complex to make. Bend in the handle bows with a narrowed grip takes some skill. Very good looking. Inspiring to see, might want to try one myself.
Stoneagebows

Offline Little John

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2023, 02:12:00 pm »
  Wow, that turned out really nice, I have yet to make a bend in the handle bow, hopefully soon.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2023, 02:23:52 pm »
Nice!  The artwork and dogbane wrap are a nice touch, that's a beautiful bow.

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2023, 02:25:02 pm »
Beauty Mike. Excellent tiller.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2023, 04:54:08 pm »
beautiful bow,, congrats

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2023, 06:47:48 pm »
Very nice looking bow. One of these days I need to try that style. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Will B

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2023, 06:50:41 pm »
That’s a great looking bow. Love the tiller and art work. Thanks for posting all the photos.

Offline M2A

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2023, 08:56:26 am »
Thank you guys! I guess I forgot to say its tillered out to 27" @ the 56 lbs. Hope to come across another stave in the pile to make another but have a couple other projects to finish up. Always enjoy seeing everyones work. Thanks again Mike   

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2023, 10:31:46 am »
Really nice job on that one Mike.

Can’t find anything I don’t like about it.

A bunch I do like about it starting with the tiller.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2023, 05:54:01 pm »
Beautiful work on that one, till looks very good to me.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline superdav95

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2023, 11:35:21 pm »
That’s an authentic looking little bow.  Looks like the real deal with perfect tiller.  Very nice. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com