Author Topic: Built up sinew nock how?  (Read 856 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Built up sinew nock how?
« on: April 22, 2023, 06:23:17 pm »
I want to build up a nock from sinew instead of using an overlay.  Anyone done this? How is it done?  Anything I need to avoid doing?
Andrew

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Built up sinew nock how?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2023, 09:07:40 pm »
Ive done it a couple of times,, it worked well, keep in mind the sinew shrinks a bit so make build up larger than you think,, you can always file it down,, I strung my bow too soon and damaged the nocks,, next time I waited longer no problem,, I think at least a week,,,

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2023, 05:24:36 am »
Do you chew the sinew or use glue?  If you use glue, is it a hide type or some other type?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2023, 08:38:30 am »
I have not made wrapped nocks on a bow but with arrow wraps for nocks and feathers I chew the sinew until soft then wrap tightly. At the end of the wrap I lick my fingers and compress the wrap in the direction of the wrap. Once dried the sinew with the saliva creates it's own hide glue making the wrap secure. I then add TBIII or pitch varnish to seal and add more security to the wrap.
 The sinew has to be moist and pliable to make a secure wrap for bow nocks or arrow wraps.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2023, 08:08:34 am »
I think I have made sinew nocks, can't remember for sure as it was long ago. I have done a number of sinew wraps to repair a limb. I would make the nocks like a would a wrap, separate the sinew, dip the strands in warm hide glue (I use Knox), squeegee out most of the glue between your fingers and do a tight wrap to build up the nock. You can dip the strands of sinew in slightly diluted Tight Bond glue, do the wrap and achieve the same result as you would with hide glue on nocks. I have done repair wraps with sinew and TB2 that came out well.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2023, 01:23:03 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2023, 07:35:24 pm »
its pretty forgiving process,,Im sure several ways would work,, I soaked the sinew to get it soft,, I cant remember what glue I used,,probaly hide glue,, but titebond woule be good too,,,I have one of the bows I did,,,Ill post pic,,

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2023, 05:11:34 pm »
pics