Author Topic: Growth rings  (Read 1847 times)

Offline bentstick54

Re: Growth rings
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2023, 05:52:25 pm »
Do you still consider the wide ones as 1 late wood ring, or are the different? Do you think they react the same?

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2023, 06:13:23 pm »
So if I’m looking for a near perfect Osage stave a 3 to 1 ratio of late wood to early wood would be a pretty good ratio. Would 4 to 1 be better?
I’m not planning on turning anything I cut into fire wood but would definitely set a prime piece aside. I’d have to go and look but I’m pretty sure most of what I have now is more 1 to 1 but some might be 2 to 1. Next time I’m in my shed I’m gonna take a look at my Osage staves and see what they look like. I’m hoping to get some more Osage harvested soon.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2023, 07:22:44 pm »
I’ve cut a notch in the bottom of the trunk before I cut the whole tree down to check out the rings. Sometimes passing on the tree. But any ratio on Osage  makes a good bow. But 1-3 or 1-4 is real good in my opinion.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2023, 08:21:04 am »
Musk man, I’ve made what I consider good bows from 1 to 1 ratio but would definitely prefer 2 to 1 or greater. The greater the % of late wood the better in most opinions.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2023, 08:40:15 am »
If the early to latewood ratio appears "bad" then I leave the bow a little wider. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2023, 08:39:27 am »
My personal thoughts. Just use what you have in your stash and don't think that somehow perfect rings don't make a good osage bow and don't get paranoid about what the ring ratio or "lunar" rings look like. I've made at least 200 osage bows with every grain configuration you can imagine and in the end they were 200 osage bows just the same. I'm not discounting anybody's comment's or thoughts, just don't get out on a cliff edge for nothing is what I'm trying to say. Build bows, have fun and shoot those bows.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2023, 09:56:53 am »
My personal thoughts. Just use what you have in your stash and don't think that somehow perfect rings don't make a good osage bow and don't get paranoid about what the ring ratio or "lunar" rings look like. I've made at least 200 osage bows with every grain configuration you can imagine and in the end they were 200 osage bows just the same. I'm not discounting anybody's comment's or thoughts, just don't get out on a cliff edge for nothing is what I'm trying to say. Build bows, have fun and shoot those bows.

I agree.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2023, 01:29:47 pm »
That’s how I approach it. I work with what I cut down.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2023, 02:48:57 pm »
I agree as well. I really never had a thought about tossing my stash of staves. I’ll make a bow from all of it . Just will keep an eye out for pieces with a really good ratio and stash those for me.
Also didn’t mean to hi jack Moes thread, so sorry about that Moe.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2023, 10:40:50 pm »
If in doubt leave it wider. Bowyers capable of chasing 1/16" rings (I can't) leave it wider. :)

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!