Author Topic: Juniper/sinew short bow questions  (Read 666 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Juniper/sinew short bow questions
« on: March 28, 2023, 11:31:55 pm »
Hi, all.  I have a project underway and I'm starting to wonder if it's even worth continuing.  I had a 43" juniper stave and decided to try making a short bow for hunting antelope.   My plan is to recurve the tips about 3-4 inches. I've already cut the tips narrow, so I can't go back on that now.  With a 4" handle, that only leaves about 30-33" of working limb.  The limbs are 2" wide over most of their length.  If I proceed, it will be heavily sinew backed.

Questions: 
Is it realistic to get at least a 40# draw out of this?
What kind of draw length should I tiller for?  My normal draw is 27".  I'd like to get it to at least around 24-25" if possible.
How much sinew should I plan on using?  It's bison sinew, if that matters.
Is it worth my time to continue with this thing, or should I ditch this project and look for a longer stave?

I await the wisdom of the PA Oracle.   ;D
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline superdav95

Re: Juniper/sinew short bow questions
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2023, 09:20:51 am »
I’m sure it can be done but with some risks.  That’s not a lot of working limb for sure to get your hopes on 25” or even 27” draw.  Sinew will make it possible but will it be a good hunting bow that will be stable.  Lots of variables.  One of my projects coming  up will be an erc that’s sinew backed.  It will be my first erc bow.  I plan to keep it fairly long 66” though.       With your piece I might be tempted to save my sinew for longer juniper piece.  Just me.  Good luck with your decision.   
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2023, 10:18:15 am »
It is pretty short. If you make a bend through the handle bow it will give you a better chance of survival and a better chance of a 24" to 25" draw, with sinew back. I'd say you could easily get 40#. But, like Dave said a longer bow would give you a better chance of success plus it would be easier to become more accurate with a longer bow. When I first went from longer(66"-68") to shorter(47"-50") bows it was like starting over learning how to shoot. Once I learned I was fine but that was a heck of a learning curve to me.
 I'd also say at least 2 good, solid layers of sinew and maybe more.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2023, 03:56:59 pm »
Yeah, I was thinking three or four layers of sinew.  I really prefer longer bows, as I too find them easier to shoot.  But I need one I can shoot from a blind, if I'm going to hunt antelope with it.  Maybe I need to make one of those primitive crossbows...
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2023, 07:59:17 pm »
21 or 22 would be reasonalbe,, and accuracy past 10 or 12 would take lots of practice,,
please just get a stave that fits your draw,,
trying to make that work, recuces your chance of success ,, why do that...
at least 54 inches,, even a board 54 inches would give you a better chance of success,,
make the bow,, and give it to someone if you like,
dont break it trying to achieve an unreasonable draw,,
please not the cross bow stuff,, lots of antelope killed with reasonble length bow,,,,
I have a 54 inche bow that shoots out of a blind very nicely,, and can be drawn tp 27
even better make the bow and see how you can shoot it,, no one has a set draw ,,, you can vary if you practice,
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 09:14:58 pm by bradsmith2010 »