Author Topic: bnad saw blade  (Read 969 times)

Offline bassman211

bnad saw blade
« on: June 19, 2023, 03:07:25 pm »
I have been making bows with all hand tools. I am 75 now, and it is taking a toll on my hands,  and joints. The reason being that I can't find a band saw blade that will easily tackle hard woods to rough a bow out. My band saw is a Porter Cable that takes a 92  5/8 blade. Best saw blade that I owned was 1/2 wide made to cut Metal. Some how I kinked it, and now it will not stay on the band saw. looking for a saw blade 3/8 wide. What kind do you guys use? The last one I used was Bosch. It did OK, but not for long.

Offline Badger

Re: bnad saw blade
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2023, 04:02:09 pm »
  I have been using the 1/2" X 4 tooth cheap carbon backed blades for over 20 years with no issues. The most important thing I found is setting up the saw properly. It only takes a few minutes but is extremely important. The lowest part of your tooth should be adjusted to run in the center of the wheel.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2023, 06:38:28 pm »
I like Timberwolf blades, also in the 1/2" 4 TPI flavor.

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2023, 06:50:05 pm »
This is what I’m currently using on my 45 year old Rockwell 14” bandsaw. I have been happy with them on rough out Osage bow profiles, and cutting off excess belly material to save draw knife work.

Online Kidder

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2023, 09:10:26 pm »
This is what I’m currently using on my 45 year old Rockwell 14” bandsaw. I have been happy with them on rough out Osage bow profiles, and cutting off excess belly material to save draw knife work.

That’s my go to blade as well. I find you want a low TPI count. For bow building I can get away with a wide blade as I’m not doing any tight curves and that also helps with stiffness to power through tough woods.

Offline bassman211

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2023, 09:45:03 pm »
I set a band saw up as you do Badger. I will try timber wolf.  Today I got pissed at a 68 inch Osage stave. I was wearing myself out with hand tools trying to reduce it. My band saw won't do it as is, so I set up a portable table saw , and went to town. Turned out pretty good, and saved me a ton of work. I was covered with saw dust when I was done, but it worked out for me. Thanks for the tips.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2023, 07:28:21 am »
Another thing I would suggest is to watch one of the bandsaw tuning videos on you tube, properly tuned bandsaw makes a world of difference.

Offline bassman211

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2023, 08:32:08 am »
I read the instructions from end to end when I bought it new. Blade adjustment, roller adjustment, etc, but I will watch the vids to see if I am missing some thing.

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2023, 10:57:08 am »
  One simple test for a bandsaw is to draw a line on a board parallel to the edge. Cut that line free hand for about 4" and then stop and look at how you are holding your board. It should be straight, if your blade is slightly off track the board will be slightly slanted.