Author Topic: Bendy handle yew with recurved tips  (Read 3298 times)

Offline Selfbowman

Re: Bendy handle yew with recurved tips
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2023, 04:31:11 pm »
Please don’t be offended. I don’t care for bend in the handle bows. I like the flipped tips! I am a handle guy that’s all.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2023, 07:00:20 pm »
sorry I cant find pic, if I do I will post

Offline Aksel

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2023, 02:41:56 am »
Arvin, no offence taken  :) I wasn't a big fan of bendy handle bows prior to this either. Since this bow comes from a deflexed longbow (and already had a bendy handle & followed the string by 2-2,5) I didn´t have much of an option which led me into researching this design.

My gut feeling was that it surely must be more unstable & not an effective design for storing/releasing of energy. Too many weak links I thought,  so I didn´t have much hope. And judging by how relatively few hits I got searching for this design implied this was the collected on-line wisdom of bow makers.

So this made me curious to hear the thoughts/opinion of others on this design (and not on my bow). Especially why people do not favour this type of bow.
Stoneagebows

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2023, 11:36:28 am »
I have been hunting and shooting bend in handle bows for maybe 25 years,,,
the chronograph,, will show you they are effecient,,
it may take a bit more practice to get used to the no handle,, but for me,, I love the way they shoot and handle,, and also lets me use a shorter piece of wood if need be,, I have a handle bow I use for elk hunting,, its 66 inches long,,,so I make and shoot both,,,,
at this point,, I dont reflex the tips much any more,, I reflex the whole bow and get the performance I need,, Ive gotten a bit lazy,, :)
     I see no down side to the design you used,,just a matter of preference,,,as the bow gets shorter,, the design becomes more suitable,, as the bow gets longer,, a longbow design or handle bow works great,,
     I think you got the wrong idea bow makers dont like this design,, I dont think thats the case,,
« Last Edit: October 03, 2023, 11:41:32 am by bradsmith2010 »

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2023, 01:30:49 pm »
I have been hunting and shooting bend in handle bows for maybe 25 years,,,
the chronograph,, will show you they are effecient,,
it may take a bit more practice to get used to the no handle,, but for me,, I love the way they shoot and handle,, and also lets me use a shorter piece of wood if need be,, I have a handle bow I use for elk hunting,, its 66 inches long,,,so I make and shoot both,,,,
at this point,, I dont reflex the tips much any more,, I reflex the whole bow and get the performance I need,, Ive gotten a bit lazy,, :)
     I see no down side to the design you used,,just a matter of preference,,,as the bow gets shorter,, the design becomes more suitable,, as the bow gets longer,, a longbow design or handle bow works great,,
     I think you got the wrong idea bow makers dont like this design,, I dont think thats the case,,

It sure isn't the case with me, I love making the bendy handle boogers!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.