Author Topic: Compression wood or Regular fir  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Dante_F

Compression wood or Regular fir
« on: August 17, 2023, 07:39:35 pm »
I was splitting wood from the underside of a leaning fir that was about 3.5 feet across to salvage the compression wood when I noticed it didn't really look like what I usually see compression wood as online, is this just regular fir?

Offline willie

Re: Compression wood or Regular fir
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2023, 03:07:25 pm »
it looks like compressionwood in the late rings. I am not too familier with firs, but have observed , at least with spruce, that compression wood varies a lot from tree to tree and even within a tree.
What are you hoping to use it for?

Offline Dante_F

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2023, 03:29:38 pm »
I was hoping to try for a bamboo-compression wood laminate but after speaking to someone who wrote their masters thesis on these sorts of bows and had made many of them apparently its just regular fir, probably saturated in pitch, I can still use it for arrows though so that's the new plan, apparently the compression wood on fir is a pretty dark brown when looking at branches with compression wood and this isn't it. Thank you for your help  :OK

Offline willie

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2023, 01:48:35 am »
I was hoping to try for a bamboo-compression wood laminate but after speaking to someone who wrote their masters thesis on these sorts of bows and had made many of them apparently its just regular fir, probably saturated in pitch, I can still use it for arrows though so that's the new plan, apparently the compression wood on fir is a pretty dark brown when looking at branches with compression wood and this isn't it. Thank you for your help  :OK

can you link to the thesis?
sounds interesting

Offline Dante_F

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2023, 06:32:11 pm »
If I could I would, the guy has a bowmaking operation in Norway and he sells copies of the thesis on his site which are sold out, I've looked online under his name for the thesis but haven't been able to find online copies for free and he only sells them in Norwegian at the moment unfortunately but plans to sell english ones sometime in the future.

Offline StickMark

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2023, 10:03:07 pm »
Please post when you make the compression wood, Scandinavian type bow.
In 2012, I took the red pill regarding bow making when I saw a black and white, historical photo series of guys in Finland making compression wood, backed with birch, fish glue? bows.