Author Topic: Ipe and Bamboo  (Read 21851 times)

Rich Saffold

Re: Ipe and Bamboo
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2008, 01:13:35 pm »
Stan, These bows really don't fall into the historical category :D, so I don't worry about using flemish styles on these bows. Endless low twist strings made from modern materials are my favorite since you can get a whole lot more speed from your bow, and it will shoot sweeter as well.

Rich-

Offline markinengland

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2008, 04:37:39 pm »
Personally I would not want to make another endless loop string. I find flemish strings so much easier.
I haven't got the trick of making double loop strings the right length so make single loop in linen or BYC450.
If the string is waxed and tied right there should be no slippage. I have to work hard to prise mine part to retie as with the wax they kind of weld themselves tegether.
When I did make endless loop strings I made a wooden jig. Serving is no problem with just a spool of serving thred. NO serving tool is needed.
Please post pics of the end result, not bits!
Best of luck.
Mark in England

Offline backgardenbowyer

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2008, 06:55:05 pm »
Attempt to make an endless loop was a complete failure my temporary jig for holding the string didn't give enough tension for the serving tool which proved a complete nuiscance.  I'll stick with the 14 strand single loop I made earlier there are two extra strands in the laid in part for the timber hitch and lots of natural beeswas lets hope it works.  Leather now on the handle and gluing, just a bit more oil and wax needed in due course...

I'm using Dacron B50.  is it safe to use more modern materials and if so how many strands are needed?

Stan

Rich Saffold

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2008, 11:34:08 pm »
Stan, I know most folks use more, but on 70#'s I will use 10- 12 strands, usually of spectra or fast flight, or one of the other low stretch materials. B-50 stretches way too much to let these bows perform like they can. But if you make a ten strand endless and keep the twists in the string down under a dozen it will help.

Offline markinengland

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2008, 05:44:28 pm »
Stan,
I have used BYC 450plus for string on Ipe longbows and it works well.
This has a strand strength of something like 115lbs so you don't "need" much in terms of strength. An 8 strand string would be more than strong enough for your bow.
I like the guide given in TBB which talks about bow weight at 15 inches times 10 (or similar, I have to look it up each time!). The other basic guide would be 4 times bow strength at full draw. Both of these give a string that is safe and durable for the bow.
As the modern materials are so strong I feel there can be a danger of the string really being too strong for the bow. If 16 strands or so are used the string would be strong enough for a 460lb bow. As many people with a 50lb bow may make such a string you can see how a string can be too strong, the equivalent of using a rope!
Mark in England

Offline backgardenbowyer

« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2008, 07:48:19 pm »
Well here we are - the finished thing!  Huge thanks to all for the advice and encouragemnt this has been a difficult build for me.  Shot the bow again this morning and lost three arrows in the long grass testing for distance  :(.  It still doesn't seem to shoot very far, not more than 190yds as far as I can tell but this is with 27" arrows and poor technique from me.  The bow is pulling about 65lbs at my normal 27" draw length but will go over 70lbs if I crank it back so jsut beginning to enter warbow teritorry, but I'm finding this a big step up from my 50lbs fileld bow and struggling with the weight.  Part of me wants to scrape a bit more and go down to 60lbs.

IMHO choclate brown ipe and golden bamboo is a very attractive combination in any bow.

How does the tiller look?  I think the pic. slightly distorts it, but the out 1/3 of the top limb may be a bit stiff.  It could have changed a bit now the bow is shot in, maybe I should put it back on the tillering stick and check it out.

Stan

[attachment deleted by admin]

radius

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2008, 09:20:43 pm »
bgb, i think that's a pretty cool bow...i really like the look of bamboo

Rich Saffold

« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2008, 10:12:09 pm »
Stan, Tiller looks good, and you should feel proud, I know a good loose at 31" will send the arrows much farther. 27" arrows mean you got that distance on a 26" draw and that is real good. I'm usually shooting 33" arrows out of that style bow..

Rich

Offline markinengland

« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2008, 04:31:28 am »
Stan,
Tiller looks good from what I can see.
I use a quite dfferent draw when shooting roving and longer distances from heavier bows than I do for lighter bows in the woods. I think I would hurt myself if I didn't.
The aim is not so much to get the string back to anchor somewhere on the face, but to use the whole body, be kind of in the bow, with shoulders and arms in line. For me I think this leads to my drawing arm/hand being lower.
Do you go on any roving shoots? May be worth going to one of the Fraternity of St George shoots. Good fun and you could see how your bow can do with long arrows when you really give it some.
Mark in England

Offline backgardenbowyer

« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2008, 05:30:48 am »
Mark - I joined BLBS for insurance and made the bow specifically to go the St. George's shoots - will certainly be at the one in July - are you going?

I now need to make some go-further arrows - probably not true flight arrows as they are a bit fiddly.  I was thinking of 2 1/2 parabolic fletchings and 70g points, probably about 29" (don't think I can manage more than that).  Normally I shoot 5/16" 40-45lbs spine 27 1/2" with 100g point and 4" fletch shield - pretty standard for field, and these come out of hte new bow fine at a short draw lenght, but with a very small "click" against the bow when fully drawn. So maybe I should go up a spine and get some 45-50.  I want to avouid 11/32" if possible as this will add weight.

Perhaps I should go to Carol's and try a few out.

Stan

Offline markinengland

« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2008, 06:00:44 pm »
Stan,
Yes, I'll probably be at the next Fraternity of St George shoot. NFAS insurance is Ok as well.
It isn't a bad idea to make the arrows full length. Your draw length probably will increase and sometimes the arrows hits a stone at these shoots and the end reaks off.
If you are touching on 65lbs then the bow may need 50-55 spine arrows. Trying out a range at Carol's is a good idea.
I'll be the guy driving a beat up old silver Volvo estate, probably with a huge silver top box on it. Might see you there.
I hope to have a new Bamboo/Ipe bow of my own.
Mark

stevesjem

« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2008, 07:57:53 pm »
Stan,
Yes, I'll probably be at the next Fraternity of St George shoot. NFAS insurance is Ok as well.
It isn't a bad idea to make the arrows full length. Your draw length probably will increase and sometimes the arrows hits a stone at these shoots and the end reaks off.
If you are touching on 65lbs then the bow may need 50-55 spine arrows. Trying out a range at Carol's is a good idea.
I'll be the guy driving a beat up old silver Volvo estate, probably with a huge silver top box on it. Might see you there.
I hope to have a new Bamboo/Ipe bow of my own.
Mark

Hey Mark, NFAS insurance is only any good for NFAS shoots as is the BLBS Insurance, if the shoot isn't an official BLBS or NFAS shoot then you will not be insured. :(

S

Offline backgardenbowyer

« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2008, 03:12:54 pm »
Fraternity of St George site says their shoots do take place under BLBS auspicies and insurance, but not I think NFAS (which only covers field archery).

More importantly close inspection showed the the cracks have reappeared in the bamboo backing following the last testing. I've scraped down a bit further and smeared super glue over the area.  If they come back again then I'll have to apply some kind of binding which will really spoil the look of the bow.  These things are sent to try us. 

I'm really not sure how far I want to draw the bow with this backing and it is only 71" nock to nock. Hoping to get down to Carol's one night this week to try some shafts - up to now I've found 40-45 work with every bow weight I've tried, but this is exponentially more powerfull and I want longer shafts. 50-55s are I think only in 11/32 which means more weight.

Experiment is needed!

Stan

Offline markinengland

« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2008, 05:50:06 pm »
NFAS insurance does or at least can cover organised roving shoots. This is not all that well defined but this is taken from the NFAS website.
"The words "under the auspices of the NFAS" mean organised by NFAS Members and NFAS Rules. Practice shooting can, therefore, be covered. Freelance roving and hunting are not covered. However, roving clouts and indoor practice are covered provided appropriate safety rules are observed. In ALL circumstances all reasonable precautions must be taken."
I have shot with the Fraternity listing NFAS as my insurance a number of times.
Stan, Don't keep scraping the bamboo. You won't have any left! I had a reflex deflex bamboo backed bow where the bamboo lifted and I backed it with silk. I am not sure how BLBS would view this on one of their offical shoots though.
Mark in England