Author Topic: Sturgeon accented boo yew  (Read 3050 times)

Offline Kidder

Sturgeon accented boo yew
« on: September 24, 2023, 02:22:20 pm »
Here is another boo yew I recently finished. Awhile back a gentleman asked if I would build him a yew bow. I obliged and he sent me a stave he had sitting around for the last 10 years. Unfortunately that stave posed some significant difficulties for me - sideways bend in excess of 5 inches, extremely varying thickness sapwood - some places 1/16” others nearly an inch. Well I worked in it until it eventually earned a place in the corner of frustration. So I opted to build him a boo yew in hopes that it would suffice. This bow is 40# at 30”. 70” TTT. Overlays are Buffalo horn and the accents are sturgeon skin. I hate applying sturgeon skins as they always seem to pop off the first time. Seems the skins absorb all the glue. They seem to stick well on the second try though. Anyways, hope he likes it.
Sturgeon backed boo yew by B Kidd, on Flickr

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Sturgeon accented boo yew
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2023, 02:41:29 pm »
Very nice bow with beautiful tiller.  :OK   If he doesn't like it, send it to me.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2023, 03:06:51 pm »
Another beautiful bow, Kidder. Agree with Pat on the tiller. Curious as to the type of glue you're using for the skins. I was advised by a very experienced source to use a hide or fish glue when working with sturgeon skins and I have to say I've had excellent results with hide glue. Anyway, great job on the bow.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline superdav95

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2023, 12:10:17 am »
Yup very nice work kidder.  Tiller looks spot on to me too.   
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2023, 03:37:20 am »
Very handsome bow.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2023, 07:19:29 am »
Very nice tiller Kidder. Nice accents too. I still haven’t been able to score any sturgeon skins. Would like to give them a try.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Kidder

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2023, 12:12:46 pm »
Thanks for the kind comments. PaSteve - I used TB3. Maybe that’s the adhesion issue but I’m not sure. The issue always seems to be that they absorb all the glue on the skins and pop clean off on the back - I always degrease both the skins and the back as well as I can. And strangely the re-application always seems to adhere well. Next one I’ll try with hide glue. Bjrogg - I’ve got a few full pairs with the center skutes rolled up in my freezer that need to be defleshed and dried. Assuming I ever get around to it I will hit you up - maybe we can craft a trade - I’m in need of fairy tears, leprechaun fur, and unicorn horn.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2023, 12:25:48 pm »
Nice bow. Next time try clamping your skins down and wiping a coat of TB3 on them and the bow. Let it dry over night. The clamping keeps them flat. When you are ready to put them on the bow just wipe another coat on them and the bow. I'll bet they don't pop up on you.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2023, 01:06:45 pm »
Kidder.  As for the sturgeon skins I just degrease them well when thoroughly soaked and pliable and free of little bits and fat.  I also degrease the bow back as well.  For this I use acetone but I’ve also used soapy water too.  I put a generous amount of tb3 on both the wet skin and the bow back then do one half at a time.  I also use an old t-shirt cut into strips or have used horse leg wrap too to securely wrap the bow limbs well.  I then it somewhat dry after about an hour then pull off the wrap and check for air bubbles or any issues.  I also back string the bow through all of this too.  When all looks good I let it dry for a week or so depending on conditions.  Also when it’s wrapped I roll my thumbs up and down the back of the bow towards the tip to squeeze out any excess glue.  Hope this helps.  I’ve had good luck with this method.   Cheers brother. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Will B

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2023, 05:55:38 pm »
Beautiful bow and nice photos as well, Kidder. Those skins look awesome. Great job!

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2023, 10:27:39 pm »
That's another beauty.  Makes me wish we had sturgeon in Wyoming.  Somehow I doubt carp skins would be quite as lovely...   ;D
« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 12:44:33 pm by WhistlingBadger »
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2023, 10:39:22 am »
Very nice bow! Well done!
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Kidder

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2023, 05:20:31 pm »
Thanks guys. Dave - that’s pretty darn close to the method I’ve been using. Pearly - I think that is the solution, basically sizing it with glue, which is why it would stick the second time around. Either way, thanks!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2023, 10:01:57 am »
With water based glues I like using Dawn dish soap and rinse with boiling water on the bow and warm water on the skins. Dawn is a great grease cutter plus wetting both the bow and skins helps them accept the glue.IMO   Pearlie's suggestion of sizing first is a good idea. Buttering both sides makes for a better sandwich.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Aksel

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2023, 10:08:00 am »
Beauty! with a great tiller!
Stoneagebows