Main Discussion Area > English Warbow

Shagbark Longbow

(1/2) > >>

Sandsquid:
I completed a couple of bows over the summer.  I thought I would take some time and post them.  This one I just finished.  It comes in at 135 lbs @ 30".  It's 78" NTN, 1.61" x 1.03" @ the handle, and weighs in at 2 lbs 9.4 ozs.  I kept the belly flat and crowned the back slightly.  This bow I chased a ring to get a heart wood belly and a sap wood back.  I backed it with burlap mainly because I like the look of it, partly because the ring I chased was thin and I defiantly violated it in a couple of places.  The inlay for the arrow pass and the nocks are made from elk tines.  I wrapped the handle to round out the belly side of the grip.  Finally, I finished this the bow with a homemade oil varnish. 

I can't quite get this one all the way back, so no full draw picks yet.  Hopefully I'll be launching arrows within a few weeks, and I'll update the post then.

Sandsquid:
A couple more pics.

Pat B:
Very nice hickory longbow.  :OK
I especially like the looks of burlap backing. Any secrets to getting the backing that smooth.

Sandsquid:
I use Tighbond 3 for the adhesive.  I glue the burlap to the back coating it fairly heavy.  Then cover it with wax paper and wrap the entire bow with an ace bandage.  I let it set for a couple hours then unwrap the bow and apply another coat of tighbond.  It might take a third coat to get all the air pockets out.  Then I let everything cure for a couple of days then sand it down until the burlap fibers start showing.  I've done 3 bows like this now and I think they all turned out good. 

Pat B:
 :OK  8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version