Author Topic: What flint for beginners?  (Read 5770 times)

Offline Muskyman

Re: What flint for beginners?
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2023, 04:08:48 pm »
Got my rock today. I tried to knap a few pieces. Emphasis on tried. I struggled around for a while and destroyed 4-5 of my pieces and finally gave up for now. Bac to the videos for me. I’ll post a few pictures of what was happening and maybe I can get some feedback.
First thing I have learned is it’s not easy like the guys in the videos make it seem.. I bought a 25 lb box and I have a feeling I’ll turn it all into a bunch of chips and dust  ; that’s okay but I really thought I’d do better. Should have known better. Here’s a couple pictures of my best 2 efforts. Far from good.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2023, 04:10:08 pm »
Back side and some of my problems

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2023, 04:13:56 pm »
Another picture

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2023, 04:14:49 pm »
One more

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2023, 10:20:24 pm »
That's a great start don't worry too much. All of us made a ton of gravel, that's how ya learn. The more ya do it the better you'll start to understand what they are talking about in the videos too.
In the woods I find my peace

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2023, 02:02:22 am »
Flint requires a good deal of force to get it do what you think you want it to do! I work almost totally in Obsidian! Very different materials! Good Luck!

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2023, 08:09:16 am »
First thing I have learned is it’s not easy like the guys in the videos make it seem..
   (lol) I still keep thinking it every time  (lol)
Urban obsidian is almost free and very useful to grasp the basics

Put a big nail in the bottle and shake up and down. Eventually the bottom will detach
Knap it
Watch another video
Start all over again

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2023, 01:38:41 am »
Been trying a few more pieces of rock and am getting better at driving flakes. I have also been trying the indirect percussion. Found that I needed a heavier tool for striking my rod I’m using. My ishi stick with a copper nail wasn’t working well at all for me so I started using a aluminum rod I had and it worked better. Might try some more tomorrow. Also might try and source some bottles with thicker bottoms to use for practice. A little frustrated but been fun so far. I think my rock is raw and not treated. I don’t know if it would help me if it was heat treated or not.