Author Topic: Glass buttes in Oregon  (Read 1721 times)

Offline Muskyman

Glass buttes in Oregon
« on: December 02, 2023, 01:49:22 pm »
I was watching a video and the guy on it was in Oregon in the glass butte area. It was nuts how much obsidian was just laying on the ground. I started looking for info about it and it’s crazy how much obsidian is there. Every color you can think of, you name it and it seems to be there. My daughter went to grad school in Oregon and I was there a 3-4 years ago. We went to crater lake and on down into Northern California to Jedidiah  Smith redwood forest outside of crescent city. If I had of been doing the knapping thing then and know what I do now I definitely would have made a stop by there. Love to take a trip there someday.

Offline YosemiteBen

Re: Glass buttes in Oregon
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2023, 11:17:50 pm »
It is a beautiful place Musky!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2023, 11:19:30 pm »
They have a knapping meet there I believe in March during spring break. My cousin has been working in Oregon the past three years and gone to the glass butte a couple times now. He hasn’t been able to get to the meet but he has gone by himself collecting obsidian a couple times. I believe he said you are allowed to collect something like 250 lbs a year? He has sent me some.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2023, 11:06:49 pm »
I saw that on one of the sites I was looking at Bjrogg. 25 lbs a day and 250 a year. I think that’s per person, so if I was to go I’ll have to take the whole family  :-K

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2023, 12:17:36 am »
My friend Aaron is one of the organizers of that event at Glass Butte. Or has been in the past. I'm afraid of going to a knap-in like this for fear that I'd be infected with the bug.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2023, 02:34:15 pm »
You’re a wise man JW. What I’ve learned so far is, the guys on YouTube make it look awful easy. It’s not. Like making bows, not easy either. I like both. So far I’d say that this might be the more difficult, for me anyway. I’m going to keep at it though, and just think when I get to where I can make a half decent arrow head it will only cost me a thousand or two.  )P(