Author Topic: Sudbury bow nocks  (Read 2488 times)

Offline meanewood

Sudbury bow nocks
« on: December 09, 2023, 12:25:52 am »
Hi all
I am making a Sudbury type bow for the first time and was wondering what the consensus is regarding the originals nocks.
Because they are different styles makes me wonder if the wider one with two potential nocking points was made to employ a bracing string?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Sudbury bow nocks
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2023, 12:56:35 am »
If that was the top limb it might be where a horse hair tassel was attached. If it was the bottom limb it could be there for a bracing string but I've not heard of Native Americans using bracing strings.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline fargrubby

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2023, 04:47:21 am »
Hi all
I am making a Sudbury type bow for the first time and was wondering what the consensus is regarding the originals nocks.
Because they are different styles makes me wonder if the wider one with two potential nocking points was made to employ a bracing string?
One common bow type in archery is the Sudbury style. In order to guarantee arc stability and performance for Sudbury-style arcs, agreement on the initial nodes is frequently taken into account. The purpose of the brace is to maintain the bow's fully extended posture so that stronger bow blows can be produced. In addition to making the bow seem easier to shoot, it can assist the bow become more steady. The usage of tie wire is not required.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2023, 10:39:10 am »
Here are some pictures from the Peabody.
1’—>1’

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2023, 07:50:01 pm »
Looking at the photos of the actual bow posted above, I don't think that bow is set up for a bowstringer or a different nocking position. To my eye, it looks like ornamentation. Certainly not for a horsehair tuft either, something I do not believe was ever used on eastern US bows.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2023, 10:05:40 pm »
Yeah JW.  I’m wondering what the original string was and how it was made.
1’—>1’