Author Topic: Checkering a maclura tinctoria (Argentine Osage)  (Read 6957 times)

Offline superdav95

Re: Checkering a maclura tinctoria (Argentine Osage)
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2023, 01:53:04 pm »
Thanks mike!  Ya it take practice for sure to get good at checkering.  I’m getting little better each time I do it but still a ways to go. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2023, 01:12:52 pm »
Man that handle looks amazing. Good job.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2023, 04:00:15 pm »
Man that handle looks amazing. Good job.

Thankyou Matt!  If there is interest I’ll do more of a step by step on my next one to show more my process.  It really want so bad to do.  The goggles help as my eyes aren’t what they used to be for sure.   I just took breaks after about a half hour or so and came back to it.  Give the eyes a break.  Thanks for looking. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2023, 04:40:01 pm »
This has been an amazing thread to follow.  Your bow turned out to be crazy nice.  It's hard to pick one thing that I like the most... :)  You have me interested in checkering now, but I think the grip and tips really show how much emphasis you put into details.  Super Dave was amazing to watch,  and you deserve the name as well.  :OK
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2023, 04:52:16 pm »
I love a nice bit of checkering.  Very nice

Offline superdav95

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2023, 09:50:49 pm »
This has been an amazing thread to follow.  Your bow turned out to be crazy nice.  It's hard to pick one thing that I like the most... :)  You have me interested in checkering now, but I think the grip and tips really show how much emphasis you put into details.  Super Dave was amazing to watch,  and you deserve the name as well.  :OK

Very nice of you to say bob.  Thanks.  I think I’ll post more mini build alongs.  I learn from these builds so I may as well bring others along too.  We learn together. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2023, 09:51:48 pm »
I love a nice bit of checkering.  Very nice

Thanks brother!   

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2023, 06:33:21 pm »
May have to change your moniker to SuperDooperDave!

I am interested in those goggles, brother. These 60 yr old eyes are wearing out and I think I would like to try a pair of those!

Checkering is on my list of skills to learn for my next flintlock. Got recommendation on a book on that subject?

Thanks JW!  I was a huge super Dave Osborne fan back in the day hence the name.   They don’t make ‘em like that anymore that’s for sure. 

As for these goggles I got them from a friend of mine whose son is a dentist.  This is an older pair but they work alright.  I think I’d prefer to get led light magnifying goggles though.  I had to use a lamp to get more light for the details.  Here’s a pair I will be ordering soon I think to try off Amazon.  They are cheap and might be worth the risk of buying something cheap at first to try it out.  They have decent reviews so I may just pull the trigger on a set. 

YOCTOSUN Magnifying Glasses with Light, Head Mount Magnifier with 5 Lenses, Headband, Storage Case, Hands Free LED Lighted Head Magnifying Visor for Close Work Hobby Crafts https://a.co/d/0s8OWMX

Those look great! I just ordered a set. Thanks.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2023, 05:53:57 pm »
May have to change your moniker to SuperDooperDave!

I am interested in those goggles, brother. These 60 yr old eyes are wearing out and I think I would like to try a pair of those!

Checkering is on my list of skills to learn for my next flintlock. Got recommendation on a book on that subject?

Thanks JW!  I was a huge super Dave Osborne fan back in the day hence the name.   They don’t make ‘em like that anymore that’s for sure. 

As for these goggles I got them from a friend of mine whose son is a dentist.  This is an older pair but they work alright.  I think I’d prefer to get led light magnifying goggles though.  I had to use a lamp to get more light for the details.  Here’s a pair I will be ordering soon I think to try off Amazon.  They are cheap and might be worth the risk of buying something cheap at first to try it out.  They have decent reviews so I may just pull the trigger on a set. 

YOCTOSUN Magnifying Glasses with Light, Head Mount Magnifier with 5 Lenses, Headband, Storage Case, Hands Free LED Lighted Head Magnifying Visor for Close Work Hobby Crafts https://a.co/d/0s8OWMX

Those look great! I just ordered a set. Thanks.

I just got mine in mail today.  They were a late Christmas gift from my boys!  These are way better then mine.  Wider field of vision and more comfortable to wear.  I love mine.   

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2023, 06:41:22 pm »
Those do look like something that I need...then a set of checkering tools.  :OK They don't give those tools away...  (A)
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2023, 09:31:42 am »
First thing I did when I got my set of those glasses was to get my fine tweezers out and pull a couple of tiny osage slivers from my hand! As far as I am concerned, they've earned their purchase price already!!!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2023, 09:35:51 am »
First thing I did when I got my set of those glasses was to get my fine tweezers out and pull a couple of tiny osage slivers from my hand! As far as I am concerned, they've earned their purchase price already!!!

Ya amazing quality for how inexpensive they were really. 

superdav95@gmail.com