Author Topic: Osage Bow Follow Along  (Read 3211 times)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Osage Bow Follow Along
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2023, 12:08:52 am »
I love chasing a ring on Bodark...and a few others, but I like equally well, this phase of bow making. the tillering phase.  Now first of all, I mentioned earlier that I was ahead of what your seeing.  Once I floor tillered, I put this bow up for a few years.  I want it to season, and harden up.  So in the fall of 2021 it went into the closet.  I brought it out earlier this month and took the tips down and added overlays.  Put the backset and recurves in, long string tillered Just a bit, and then got a string on it.  Floor tiller is important as It lets me know when it is ready to bend evenly for the long string  The long string is important because it shows me that both limbs are bending together well.  Once they are, I go straight to low brace.  The tuning I did floor tillering and long string tillering, is just to get me to this point.  When I put a short string on it, the tiller is typically really even, limb to limb.  Its still heavy, but I am not stressing it beyond low brace. 4 maybe 5 inches (less if I am concerned at all).  I make my adjustments with the string on when I can, and I get the brace shape like I want it.  I have talked about this method before.  Take a straight edge, and run it along the belly.  The gap between the straight edge and the belly is your guide.  Areas where the gap is wider, its bending more there.  Don't scrape here.  Areas where the gap in less, its bending less...take wood off here.  When the gap is more or less the same across the working limb, it is bending evenly.  You can see in the pics where I marked the belly.  The X, is don't scrape.  The other is scrape until the pencil marks are gone.  Then, exercise and check it again.  Rinse and repeat.  Keep both limbs balanced and get them bending like you want them before you go much farther.  You will not have any hinges to contend with.  None!
We will get it drawn some in the next go-round.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 12:12:19 am by SLIMBOB »
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2023, 09:12:30 am »
That's looking mighty good so far. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline superdav95

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2023, 12:38:58 pm »
Wow.  I’m liking the profile of this bow!   I did up a couple pics of your braced pic.  Looks great!   
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2023, 12:46:55 pm »
Hey superdav, tell me what I am looking at?

Offline superdav95

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2023, 02:10:01 pm »
It’s just your pic where I’ve added a digital ruler using photo editor.  Mainly to show the evenness of the bend on both limbs.  They look fairly balanced so far.  Right one maybe a little more bend.  Early stages of yard stick tillering and just showing balance of bend on both sides of each limb or the arc of the bend on each limb individually.  A mid point mark with pencil of the bending portion of your limb make a mark and then mirror that arc on both sides of the mid limb mark for even bend on each limb then compare both limbs by measuring the depth from midpoint to the yardstick.   Nothing too fancy.  I’ve been using this method more last little bit.  It’s a nice visual to let me know if I like what I see is happening.  It’s also something measurable.  Lookin good so far. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2023, 02:24:17 pm »
Ok, gotcha. I thought it might be something of that nature. I chose to leave the area around the knot a little flat, just to lessen the load there, so the limb is a tad stiffer. I will make that limb my bottom limb. Still a bit of work to do on it, but I think it’s close. Thanks for the pics sir.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2023, 03:32:04 pm »
But, as I look at your pics, it appears the opposite. If you look at the string, the loop is what I have been calling the upper limb, but it has appeared to be a tad stiffer, so I figured it will be the bottom. I will ponder this a bit. 🙂

Offline superdav95

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2023, 05:37:29 pm »
Ya I may be bit off on my placement of the rulers.   When I do this with my bow builds I make actual measurements and place yardstick at correct marks. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2023, 08:30:54 pm »
Still, good information. I just need to interpret it correctly. 

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2023, 11:31:39 pm »
Ok, so we have caught up with live TV.  Now it will slow to a crawl for a bit.  The tiller looks pretty good, considering the knot area.  I am leaving that area a tad flat for it's own sake.  I will thin down and shape up the fades and get those looking good.  Again on the fades, they need to feather into the limb.  Since the fade narrows to the 1 inch handle, it needs to be progressively thicker as it narrows.  It is a tricky thing getting them right if your new to this.  No sharp angles in the fades.  The handle should flow into the fades, and "fade" into the working limb.  I'm also going to work on the inner part of the stiff tips.  I want 8-10 inches, with a little movement early..  By the way, I did put overlays on it, but I am not real happy with them  The Buffalo horn is rough and ugly.  I will address those down the road. I saw both Gordon and Arvin mention this a few days ago, and I agree 100%, If you take your time and get the tiller right before you stress the limbs, it will pay dividends in the final product.  My Reflex is at 4 inches right now.  I will monitor that as I go and see how much I can keep at the end of the build.  I typically would also heat temper here, but Im not going to on  this one if I can get it to keep it's profile.  We shall see how that goes.

Offline M2A

« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2023, 08:27:07 am »
Looking real nice so far. good explanations of the process.  Thanks for putting in the time to do this (-P
Mike

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2023, 11:38:20 am »
Hey Mike. Thanks for checking in. I enjoy this a bunch. Hope something is useful to someone.

Offline Will B

« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2023, 05:44:40 pm »
I really like the profile and tiller so far. I understand keeping the knot a little stiff compared to the rest of the limb. I typically try to make whatever limb has the most character ( knots, snakey) the top limb. Just curious that you plan to make the limb with the knot the bottom limb. Can you explain why? 
Thanks for taking the time to show your work!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2023, 06:37:01 pm »
Hey will. I was planning on putting the knot on top. After bracing, it appeared that limb might be a skosh stiffer so I flipped it. Still have wood to shed, so it could go either way. I just want the lighter limb up. All things equal, I would put the knot on top.

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2023, 11:38:35 pm »
Really liking the looks so far also.