Author Topic: Does some woods hold heat longer? & bow build  (Read 5445 times)

Offline Selfbowman

Re: Does some woods hold heat longer? & bow build
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2023, 10:18:18 am »
Mike on this one the shins staked up so high is because I was to lazy to make another caul. But I often put a 1/4 “ shim under the handle toward the end of tiller say 20” or so on the tiller tree. Then clamp the ends and slide a 1/4” shim between the caul and the back to get it to barely touch the length of the limbs. Also if you have a knot you can put the shim on each side and it will not be affected  by the caul. I seam to have more scorching when the heat reflects off the caul on to the back edges.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2023, 11:37:57 am »
Anyone built a bow limb like this to prove mass placement?  Ok time for science to laugh at me. I’ve seen big tooth pic bows so Badger here is mass principle at its best. I have some drops off the bottom of my staves  I think I will see how it tillers

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2023, 07:55:04 pm »
There are probably dimensions that can work, but if the width approaches the thickness, at some point, it will become unstable laterally.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline M2A

« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2023, 07:38:31 am »
Thanks for the explanation! I'll hope to try that sometime. Better solution than having to to make a hole in your caul to to keep things flat by a knot.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2023, 11:22:31 am »
Yes Jim I agree on lateral stable. I just used those dimensions because I built a 50# bow once that was close to 7/8 by 7/8. The bow was quick with little set . Narrow stave.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2023, 07:35:22 pm »
Well humidity down to 65 so I worked on the tiller. No set at 20”. 40# at 20” on the long string. Getting close on tiller. But I want more recurve in the ends . New caul. Going to deep heat once more.  Will have to retiller  to final weight.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 09:06:21 pm by Selfbowman »

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2023, 12:46:39 am »
Ok mass is down to 25.7 oz . Probably 2-3oz to come out of the handle. Still 5-8# to heavy. Might reach 20-21oz finish. Well see.

Offline Zugul

« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2023, 07:31:13 am »
very interesting build along! if you were to use a different wood type, let's say black locust, how would you change the design?

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2023, 08:12:14 am »
Not sure yet but these width dimensions and length dimensions  that I gave On page one I’m sure would work on locust also. Everyone says I over build in width but that’s what works for me. ive only built a couple of black locust bows .  But if you want to send me a really good stave I’ll try one.🤠
« Last Edit: December 23, 2023, 08:27:03 am by Selfbowman »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2023, 09:03:54 am »
Looking very good Arvin, you just can't stop fooling with one, like me I am working on a yew bow, had it out to 50 at 24 and shooting well but at short draw, just need a couple more inches and a few pounds off but decide I wanted to flip the tips a bit so with that done back to tillering today unless I decide I want to do something more, never know. :-\ :) :) :)

Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2023, 10:13:01 am »
You enjoying that retirement life. Now you have more time to be busy.🤠🤠

Offline superdav95

« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2023, 11:08:04 am »
I’m busier now then when I was working!   It’s a good busy though. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2023, 11:18:02 am »
Well humidity down to 65 so I worked on the tiller. No set at 20”. 40# at 20” on the long string. Getting close on tiller. But I want more recurve in the ends . New caul. Going to deep heat once more.  Will have to retiller  to final weight.

Looking good buddy.  The mass is coming off with every heat you do it seems.  Like you say more to come off with the handle yet.  Just be careful not to let the heat treatment wrap around to the backside and scorch all that hard work down the drain.  If you have some rocksol insulation or something to fill those gaps with where the shims are that would prevent the heat going around the belly onto the back.  I’d say your in good shape with your numbers at 20” draw.  Very interesting build along brother.  Be very interested in final weight/mass in the end. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2023, 04:01:52 pm »
Couple of thoughts on heat and wood.

For "heat treating," if you use radiant heat, you can heat from one surface and quit heating before the heat reaches the other surface.

Steaming can only bring the wood to the temperature at which water boils, which is the minimum for bending. So, since it is useful to heat all the way through for bending, steam is good, but a heat gun is better.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2023, 09:36:25 pm by Jim Davis »
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Zugul

« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2023, 06:12:36 pm »
Not sure yet but these width dimensions and length dimensions  that I gave On page one I’m sure would work on locust also. Everyone says I over build in width but that’s what works for me. ive only built a couple of black locust bows .  But if you want to send me a really good stave I’ll try one.🤠

If I only had one! I'm using my last piece of seasoned wood for my latest build