Author Topic: Shooting while tillering.  (Read 253 times)

Offline Juan Ant. Espinosa

Shooting while tillering.
« on: June 11, 2024, 05:36:25 am »
When I´m tillering I use to shoot the bow some times when I think I´ve make some diference scraping. For consolidate changes is what I think...
I have this days some injury that don´t let me shoot them as I want, so I made a bow without shooting it in the tillering process.
I thought it was everyting nice but after shooting it when it was ready it was changing  its tiller or that´s wat I think.

What is in your opinion the importance of shooting while tillering and how you use to do it?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Shooting while tillering.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2024, 06:12:33 am »
I don't shoot during tillering, but certainly exercise the bow, pulling it back and forth plenty of times to exercise it.
I think someone said or wrote, pull it back 20 times after each time you do some work.
Some times a bow will need a little work refining and tuning after it's been shot for a while.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2024, 09:32:02 am »
I shoot my bows using a short draw (20") a good bit during last part of tillering, I feel the snap of a shot helps the wood scraping I have done register a change quicker. I don't have any proof of this, just my way of doing things.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2024, 09:38:26 am »
I like to shoot mine after I get them out to 20 inches or so, short draw shooting and then just work my way up to full draw and weight I want it to be. If I am making it for me I don't worry much about the weight, I just shoot it until it feels good to me and then weigh it and what ever it is , is OK with me.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2024, 11:32:48 am »
I do the same as these guys. After every scraping session I draw the bow about 20 times to the draw I've tillered too and near the end of the tillering process I do shoot the bow a few times. I also like to "sweat" a bow by bracing it at progressive brace heights as the tillering proceeds for an hour or so early on and up to 6 or so hours near the end of tillering. As a hunter I want to be sure the bow's tiller is solid during the hunt.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline superdav95

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2024, 09:16:38 pm »
I do the same as these guys. After every scraping session I draw the bow about 20 times to the draw I've tillered too and near the end of the tillering process I do shoot the bow a few times. I also like to "sweat" a bow by bracing it at progressive brace heights as the tillering proceeds for an hour or so early on and up to 6 or so hours near the end of tillering. As a hunter I want to be sure the bow's tiller is solid during the hunt.

Ya that’s how I do it also.  Once I get it to brace and it looks good I’ll take it to 20” and if still good and below my target weight I will shoot it a bit too.  I like others here will exercise the limbs also but find that shooting it gives me a “feel” for the bow early on in the process.  Often I can get a sense of how fast the bow will be based on how it feels early on and the recovery the limbs make after unstringing it. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #6 on: Today at 12:01:18 pm »
All true.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!