Author Topic: automatic r/d  (Read 2370 times)

radius

automatic r/d
« on: July 10, 2008, 11:32:00 am »
Hey guys,

Anybody try this?

I just read on the Bowyer's Den, this guys recurves his tips on an otherwise straight bow, by gluing laminations into recurve (not by heat-bending).  He then tillers the bow and says that due to string follow gets an automatic deflex/recurve bow.  I have some recurve limbs that I plan to splice together and splint with a backing strip of ash...I'm gonna give it a try.

Offline Dano

Re: automatic r/d
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 12:08:35 pm »
That's fancy way of exlpaining away the set the bow took because of the recurves, just goes ta show ya that set ain't all bad.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 01:01:36 pm »
Anybody try this?
He then tillers the bow and says that due to string follow gets an automatic deflex/recurve bow

Not intentionally, but it usually happens.  :) The ipe/bamboo bow that Justin just posted has the recurves kerfed and glued.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 01:11:05 pm »
      Most bows will take a little set and get that natural r/d look after tillering. I prefer to glue mine in from the start to reduce the stress just a bit. I think the closer to the starting shape a bow has the better it will perform. If I am trying to build a very high performance bow I glue in about 3/4" deflex and 2" reflex. I hope to finish with about 1" deflex and 1 1/2" reflex. Doesn't always wortk out that way but thats the goal. Steve

radius

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 02:15:49 am »
Thanks, Badger that's good thinking.  I am lately experimenting with a few techniques...

1.  recurve yew laminations with white ash vertical grain backing

2.  osage/hickory reflexed short bow (52" long)

3.  setback/recurve white ash laminated bow with 2" wide limbs...

4.  laminated yew longbow with white ash backing.

All these bows are blanks right now.  The ash/yew combo is cool because the ash somewhat resembles the sapwood on my all heartwood laminations.  The Osage/hickory bow is a salvage job from one that I screwed the tips on a few months ago.  The setback/recurve is a variation of my Firehawk bows.  The laminated yew longbow was supposed to be a recurve, but I botched the lamination and the tips had a big gap in them.

So, I don't have time!!!!     to do my r/d bow according to Steve's way of thinking right now.  But I will!  I will!