Author Topic: Wild Plum Self bow  (Read 2856 times)

Online superdav95

Re: Wild Plum Self bow
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2024, 12:28:42 pm »
I recently had cracks like that pop on a small scrap wood osage bow I was farting around with. It happened when I put tension on the belly attempting to add recurve before I began heating. The limb was thin enough I should have been able to bend it into a circle normally, but it cracked just as the surface began to heat.

My theory as to why this happened is that by bending the wood THEN adding heat the very surface was hot but the underlying wood wasn't and the wood just couldn't take the difference. ALWAYS heat before attempting to bend recurves - that's the lesson I took away.

BTW, I grew up west of Minot. Well, that's a lie. I got bigger. I have yet to grow up. Lemme know if you are ever coming through the Black Hills. I can act as tour guide, fishing guide, or just hang out in the shop and futz around with wood/sinew/rawhide/leather/etc.

I think that is a solid theory JW.  I’ve theorized the same. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Zugul

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2024, 02:56:54 pm »
the same happend to me, it makes me proud to have come up with the same conclusion even with as little experience as I have. Seems like I'm on the right path  :BB

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2024, 07:57:04 pm »
the same happend to me, it makes me proud to have come up with the same conclusion even with as little experience as I have. Seems like I'm on the right path  :BB

As we all know and have known for generations, ALL great minds think alike...

...as do all fools fail in familiar fashion!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.