Author Topic: Osage ELB  (Read 1812 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Re: Osage ELB
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2024, 01:38:02 pm »
I can’t say Osage makes a bad English longbow but it is finicky. It definitely wants an elliptical tiller with the handle just barely moving. If it starts to get a little too circular it’ll shake then snot out of you. If you notice too much hand shoc, put a mark about 10” either way of the handle and evenly reduce weight outside that mark little bits at a time and eventually the shock will subside. It will also be quite skinny. A 50# draw bow should be under 1” at its widest and 3/8” or smaller at the tips.

Kyle

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Osage ELB
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2024, 01:56:49 pm »
I can’t say Osage makes a bad English longbow but it is finicky. It definitely wants an elliptical tiller with the handle just barely moving. If it starts to get a little too circular it’ll shake then snot out of you. If you notice too much hand shoc, put a mark about 10” either way of the handle and evenly reduce weight outside that mark little bits at a time and eventually the shock will subside. It will also be quite skinny. A 50# draw bow should be under 1” at its widest and 3/8” or smaller at the tips.

Kyle

I had a hickory ELB that was pretty miserable to shoot for that handshock. I just kept whittling away at the tips trying to fix it until was "repaired unto destruction". I guess I should have tried taking off a little more like you described. Thanks, I appreciate the pointers.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.