Author Topic: Are we now endorsing pop ups?  (Read 3898 times)

Offline paulc

Re: Are we now endorsing pop ups?
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2024, 12:55:06 pm »
the pop-ups are a pia but I won't quit coming to the forum because of them.  Ad blockers are pretty straight forward, or duckduckgo as suggested above.  fwiw  Paul

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2024, 02:36:04 pm »
Well, if you have a remedy contact Marie and tell her.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline willie

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2024, 07:05:13 pm »
..............it’s not our own website.  We pay for the server to host it.  Do you or anyone have a suggestion on what to do besides shutting the forum down? I’m open to hear anything.
 ................... and help keep this great forum alive.

Pat.  While we all certianly appreciate the expenses PA covers to pay for the hosting. I think maybe some maintence of the forum has been neglected.  As forum participants, putting up with inconvienences is one thing. Having  the forum break down and go offline is a different matter.

I am trying to get a sense of what Marie told you about the future of the forum without reading between the lines too much.......it almost sounds like Monroe and Marie are looking for alternatives for keeping  the forum alive going foreward.
Do you get the impression from Marie, that Monroe and Marie are looking for help covering the forum hosting costs or perhaps there is more the community should do to keep the forum operaional?

Offline superdav95

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2024, 10:20:31 pm »
Someone earlier had mentioned using a different browser when using pa.  I tried using duck duck go and no more pop ups.  If this helps anyone out there. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2024, 01:10:53 am »
Willie, neither Marie or Monroe have mentioned money to me, either the cost to PA or looking for money elsewhere. I think that the workings of the forum is out of their wheelhouse and they have depended on Simple Machines to handle the forum for all these years. If you have any ideas, I sure Marie would love to hear from you.(marieluther818@gmail.com)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2024, 09:43:12 am »
I haven't been on here for a while, No pop ups for me ???
Every now and then when I google something and go to other forum's, I see lots of them.
I'm using a laptop with google chrome. ???
Everything is a add for making money now days. >:(
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline paulc

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2024, 11:07:52 am »
In the past I've spent a lot of time on a wine making forum and they actively raised money for maintenance of the site and upgrades to equipment. Sounds like for PA all that is outsourced somehow which might explain the lack of ability to block the ads.  Fwiw Paul

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2024, 08:34:04 pm »
Strange, no pop ups today,  :) I don't understand this stuff but strange to me I have them some days in some post and don't some days in others. ???
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2024, 10:58:27 pm »
Seems to be the same for me today Pappy, no pop ups.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2024, 10:58:06 am »
I've been using AdBlocker for many years. Popups rarely get through to my screen on any sites. There are a few, of course, that put up a paywall or sign-up barrier, but I can get past most of those.

Advertisers are not losing any sales from me, because I'm ad resistant anyway. When I need something, I go looking for it. If I'm not looking for it, I don't buy it.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2024, 11:24:03 am »
Has anyone contacted Marie with suggestions to help PA get past this or is it just about how you can get past it without thoughts for PA?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #41 on: February 29, 2024, 06:29:01 pm »
I use Firefox on my laptop with NoScript and Adblock Plus add-ons and get no popups.  Could be the hand-held devices that are targeted
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2024, 09:13:37 am »
Guys it’s not about looking at the pop ups. If this is a hack next your post will have nutty attached. You can block it out n your computer but it’s wide open to those that aren’t blocked. If it can’t be stopped then I guess it’s the new norm. The world has gone to hell. Literally
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2024, 11:20:42 am »
Pat, I suspect most of us know nothing about how to protect a website and don't know of any cures for the sites we use--only a few on the user end.

PA needs a knowledgeable tech person to deal with this as a security issue.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2024, 12:25:55 pm »
I agree, Jim but I don't know if the funds are there.