Author Topic: Are we now endorsing pop ups?  (Read 3897 times)

Offline GlisGlis

Re: Are we now endorsing pop ups?
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2024, 12:37:02 pm »
the presence of advertisements in the forum may be due to:
- the owner of the forum (PA) decides to add advertisements. Marie should know it.
- the forum software adds advertisements as part as the use license. I have not found evidence that simple machines do that

it's unlikely that hacking of users accounts could lead to the forum showing banners as regular users have very low role permissions and are only allowed to publish contents inside a post. (and their contents are heavily filtered before acceptance)

If the presence of the banners is not a decisions of our administrators I suggest to check if there is a module inside simple machines named ad management
You should find there all banners settings
After disabling ads it would be necessary to change all administrators passwords

One question
is PA hosted on simple machines hosting or is it on a third part hosting service?

Offline willie

« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2024, 03:58:42 pm »
is PA hosted on simple machines hosting or is it on a third part hosting service?

https://www.nslookup.io/domains/www.primitivearcher.com/webservers/
trinicom appears to be a hosting company in Houston, the mometown of PA magazine.

https://www.simplemachines.org/about/values.php
appears to be a community run software project.   I can find no information at their site about the project offering hostingservices

As PatB and Jim Davis mentioned above, I think both $$ and tech experience are needed.  $$ can also buy tech experience.  It is time for the community to have a discussion about how how much they are willing to support the forum going foreward finacally.   

the bottom of every page indicates this forum is using smf version 2.0.7   
In addition to  a repair of the forum to restore functionality, there may also be a need for major updates due to hosting php requirements.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?action=mlist;sort=id_group;start=0
One useful question for the community considering action should be.... How many of these administrators are active or are willing to remain active going foreward?

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2024, 02:07:38 pm »
I personally am prepared to donate some money’s toward making the site a saver site. What kind of cost are we looking  at.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 02:19:20 pm by Selfbowman »
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline willie

« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2024, 07:53:00 pm »

I personally am prepared to donate
:OK

What kind of cost are we looking  at.
no estimate is possible until further info and a course of action can be determined.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2024, 05:18:20 am »
trinicom appears to be a hosting company in Houston, the mometown of PA magazine.

trinicom website tells alot about PA issues
their site looks made in the early times of internet. I strongly doubt they are a good solution for hosting
Simple machines requires php and mysql support
These days there are many hosting solutions that offers ssl , a decent storage and virtually unlimited bandwith for a very reasonable cost
just to name one (there are many more) I checked hostinger dot com that has a business plan with 200gb of storage, ssl, php, mysql, ftp access and more for less than 10$/mo

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2024, 11:46:45 am »
GllsGlls, have you contacted Marie about this. She's the person to talk to not us ignoramuses the know very little how to fix this problem. All we want to do is build bows, post pics and talk about bows, etc.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline superdav95

« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2024, 11:52:32 am »
I personally am prepared to donate some money’s toward making the site a saver site. What kind of cost are we looking  at.

+1 here on making a donation to resolving this issue
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline willie

« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2024, 01:55:57 pm »

trinicom website tells alot about PA issues
their site looks made in the early times of internet. I strongly doubt they are a good solution for hosting
Simple machines requires php and mysql support
These days there are many hosting solutions that offers ssl , a decent storage and virtually unlimited bandwith for a very reasonable cost
just to name one (there are many more) I checked hostinger dot com that has a business plan with 200gb of storage, ssl, php, mysql, ftp access and more for less than 10$/mo

Tricom does appear to be focused on other markets, and Marie mentioned that the host is not "a smf guy"
I do see others host that cater specifically to SMF, but I would suppose maybe part of the complexity is that the forum would need not only a reboot or restore from backup, but an update in order to bring PHP up to the more recent.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2024, 09:16:53 pm »
Well I think you are right about a bunch of guys that just want to talk and build bows. I like the site as is for the most part. I know nothing about the fix!!! Same advertising that would be in the old paper magazine. And make it more secure. Just a suggestion.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!