Author Topic: Black Locust fix?  (Read 1924 times)

Offline bassman211

Re: Black Locust fix?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2024, 05:39:47 pm »
Locust.

Offline Bearded.Jake

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2024, 09:24:36 pm »
Just an update, and a couple other questions if anyone is able to help again!

the tips are looking okay with the cracks in one end basically gone and the other end glued up and looks alright. 

Now I am unsure about correcting the alignment.  one tip is about 1 1/2" - 2" out of alignment and the bend is about mid limb.  I am wondering if this is too much and needs to be corrected or not, and if so, then when is the right time to do it.  Around the floor tillered stage or near the end of tillering?  I have seen people do both I think but I dont know which is best.

Also, I cleaned up an island i left over a knot and found it to be punky all the way through, so I ended taking it all out. I am wondering if anyone has tips for finishing a knot hole through the bow, and if this one looks alright?

thanks for any help, again!

Offline Hamish

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2024, 05:19:30 am »
I would cut shallow nocks, start tillering until you can get a string on it. Then you can see how much you really need to bend to get it to line up. The thinner limbs will be easier to correct with heat.

You can also manipulate the nocks a little, making one side deeper, same again for the handle area.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2024, 12:38:54 pm »
I would cut shallow nocks, start tillering until you can get a string on it. Then you can see how much you really need to bend to get it to line up. The thinner limbs will be easier to correct with heat.

You can also manipulate the nocks a little, making one side deeper, same again for the handle area.

Me too.

I wouldn’t worry about the knot hole either. It looks good.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Bearded.Jake

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2024, 02:48:19 pm »

Me too.

I wouldn’t worry about the knot hole either. It looks good.

Thanks so much! Hopefully I will get this thing bending nice!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2024, 04:14:33 pm »
When you do heat correction take your time. Let the heat soak in good. You should be able to feel the wood give up. Don’t force it. I’ve never tried black locust. Not sure how much heat it takes.

Good luck

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise