Author Topic: Starting Small (finished Firewood pictures)  (Read 6853 times)

Offline Muskyman

Re: Starting Small
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2024, 11:28:14 am »
It’s kinda like taking lemons and making lemonade 😁. It’s got me thinking 🤔 I’ve got a stave from a limb that I violated the outer ring in a couple places and has very thin growth rings that I might flattening the back on and try my first BBO bow with. Also got some stuff I could try splicing with.
Very cool post

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2024, 12:09:11 pm »
Thanks guys.

That’s the response I was hoping for.

You don’t have to use Osage either. I have used these same techniques with ash.

I belly split off the bore damage and chased a ring on the belly split.

Osage is nice to practice on though.

Feel free to add any lessons you try to this thread!

I think my class is on Easter break right now.

Will continue after break though

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline superdav95

« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2024, 02:40:16 pm »
Great post Bj.  Thankyou. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline paulc

« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2024, 11:30:34 am »
I took a belly split off a mulberry stave in hopes of making a mulberry bow for the junior bow trade....tried chasing a ring on the belly split first to try and learn how...bit of a nightmare.  Impressive that yall are able to chase a ring as it seems a bit overwhelming at this point.  Granted the lighting in my garage is terrible but still...I think i saw someone somewhere say they used rubbing alcohol to help them keep track of the ring they are chasing...does that ring a bell?

Paul

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2024, 05:23:34 pm »
I took a belly split off a mulberry stave in hopes of making a mulberry bow for the junior bow trade....tried chasing a ring on the belly split first to try and learn how...bit of a nightmare.  Impressive that yall are able to chase a ring as it seems a bit overwhelming at this point.  Granted the lighting in my garage is terrible but still...I think i saw someone somewhere say they used rubbing alcohol to help them keep track of the ring they are chasing...does that ring a bell?

Paul

I’m glad you gave it a try Paul. It does seem very easy to get lost at first. I still struggle just a little trying to get started. It’s very important that you start out with your ring going from edge to edge. Once I get the same ring from edge to edge then I just work about four or five inches with my draw knife leaving just a little early wood. Then clean up with scrapper.

Look from different angles and directions. I have one direction I can clearly see them better from in my vice. I try very hard to use that to my advantage.

I did take clamps off of firewood today. Narrowed built up area to width of stave. Seems to be pretty good glue line. 

This will be the handle area. I won’t finish shaping it until I am almost done tillering. It clamps in vice so much better shaped like this.

Bjrogg

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2024, 05:26:50 pm »
Just a few things I’ve noticed in my limited time chasing a ring. Lighting is very helpful. I have been taking a shop light and getting it right over my stave on top of my other lights. Seems to help a lot. The other thing I’ve noticed is that if your stave is really dry and you have good growth rings it makes it much easier. For me anyway. Definitely not as easy as some make it look Paul.
Good dry wood seemed to help me anyway. For what that’s worth to you. I’ve never heard about the alcohol thing but it might be worth a shot. Best advice I can give is to take your time and don’t rush it. My biggest problem is being patient.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2024, 06:23:20 pm »
Charcoal or even colored sidewalk chalk. Not sure where your growth ring is? Give it a rubbing, wipe with a rag and the charcoal or chalk sticks in the crumbly early wood, makes I really pop!

Sunrise and sunset has always been my best time to chase rings, when that light is angled low. I point the stave in line with the sun and  go to town. I have a desk lamp  that has an adjustable arm and I can mimic that sunrise/set condition. It's one of those smokin' hot halogen lamps, so it really throws some powerful light, too. If I shut off all the other lights in the garage that helps, too.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2024, 10:26:07 pm »
I'm really enjoying following this one.  Thanks for posting.  You make it look so easy!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2024, 10:44:41 am »
Thanks for sharing the tips guys.

Glad you are enjoying the thread.

I’m sorry but I got a little bit sidetracked again

Yesterday I had some work that needed to be done.

Then I had a Osage log that needed to be taken care of

Me and the young buck got it split into five staves last week and I have been trying to get the bark, sapwood and a ring chased on back.

Thought I’d share a few pictures of my progress

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2024, 10:50:17 am »
I start on one end.

I go down to this ring on right edge.

There are still rings above it on the left side.

Sometimes it can be confusing to know if they are above or below

I work from the one edge across to the other following my ring until I get all the way across from side to side.

Once I get this done it’s not nearly as confusing.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2024, 10:52:14 am »
I split off some of the extra bark and sapwood with my wedge.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2024, 10:53:47 am »
Got this one coming my way. It’s number three.

Bjrogg

Offline superdav95

« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2024, 11:42:44 am »
Lookin like good stuff there Bj!  Thanks for sharing. 

Like others have already said here lighting is key.  If I find myself working on tricky thinner ringed Osage or the like with lots of character or hills and valleys and such lighting is key.  Obviously patients is what gets most of us.  To help with this I take many breaks and walk away and come back to it with fresh eyes.  I if find myself loosing the ring edge I change angle of light source to highlight the edge better.  I use a bright soft lamp that I can move to different angles on my surface which helps.   On tricky staves I use rounded scrapers and take my time.  Lots of good info on this thread. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2024, 12:52:35 pm »
Lookin like good stuff there Bj!  Thanks for sharing. 

Like others have already said here lighting is key.  If I find myself working on tricky thinner ringed Osage or the like with lots of character or hills and valleys and such lighting is key.  Obviously patients is what gets most of us.  To help with this I take many breaks and walk away and come back to it with fresh eyes.  I if find myself loosing the ring edge I change angle of light source to highlight the edge better.  I use a bright soft lamp that I can move to different angles on my surface which helps.   On tricky staves I use rounded scrapers and take my time.  Lots of good info on this thread.

I remember one stave where I think I chased three complete rings scraping with a pocket knife. I would have gone to a thicker ring using a draw knife, but they were all thin as card stock. Funny, I lost that stave dealer's information shortly after.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2024, 11:00:26 pm »
I got firewood bending a little. I call this vice tillering. I clamp limb in vice and reduce my tips. Then I get outers bending a little. Then I tapper thickness towards handle checking bend by pulling tip with my hand and watching my bend.

Bjrogg